Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Aug 14, 2007 2:13 am - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Glad to see that you've made a page for this mountain! It's not well known but it is beautful. Diamond creek just to the North of it is actually a pretty well known area amongst elk hunters as there is a lot of monster elk in there. That is probably the Preuss Range's claim to fame. Great job on the page!

Tracy

Tracy - Jul 6, 2009 3:51 pm - Voted 10/10

4WD is a must?!

Dean,
In your 5th paragraph under "Getting There" you write:

"This road gets narrower as you get farther along it (it's not the type of road you want to take a vehicle on if you like the paint job) and roughs up the farther you get, too. Some passenger cars could get about 1.5 miles up with no problem but after that, the road gets much rougher. Muddy sections will intimidate you if you hit this area after a rain but the road has a bottom. Having 4WD and high clearance is a must...."

I have to admit, high clearance is a must, but I made it the full 3.8 miles in a 2WD full size Ford van. Not that I would recommend that to anyone else. It was very sketchy in places and the more than one dozen or so mud holes were somewhat nerve-racking. Paint job on the van was no longer a concern many miles/years ago, but I have yet to discover any new scratches - they may still be covered in mud.

Seriously, only a crazy person would attemp this without 4WD because, if you got stuck, I don't know how you'd get out.

And another thing, when we traveled this "road," it went right through a sheep camp and the sheepherder didn't seem too pleased with my full-size van disrupting his sheep herding operations. He wasn't nearly as vocal as the sheep dogs were however. In fact those dogs were an incentive to drive further than I had originally planned to! ;-)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Meade Peak (ID)' main page