Mount Arvon Comments

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Scott

Scott - Sep 4, 2003 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a good page. I'll never drive up there to climb it, but the page is well done.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 14, 2003 10:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I've always been curious about the low mountains that pop up around the shores of the Great Lakes. Very few sources of information about them. The photos I've been able to find about them, while few, are sometimes impressive. Wonder if anyone has sponsored a page featuring one of the peaks in the Porcupine Mountains?

Grant

Grant - Jan 18, 2004 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

very nice

Chris

Chris - Dec 6, 2004 5:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice. I was in Marquette a few years ago, but never made it over to Avron. Now that don't live in the midwest and it's a 1500 mile trip, I wish I would have :-)



Thanks,

- Chris

Bill Ott

Bill Ott - Mar 4, 2005 12:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looks like you've got some great hiking partners.

Ilafan

Ilafan - Apr 3, 2005 5:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good driving directions

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Apr 3, 2005 9:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Used to go skiing at Big Powderhorn, Indianhead and Blackjack. Coldest I have ever been in my life, 65 below with the wind chill. Nice country.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 26, 2005 8:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

2skinners - Jan 13, 2006 9:07 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page!!

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 7, 2008 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Another route to/from the summit?

The locals seemed to think that there is a quicker drivable method of reaching the summit than what is listed here, but only if one knows the backroads well enough. I stuck to your instructions, which were very good, and it all worked out OK (although it took longer than I anticipated).

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 9, 2008 9:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another route to/from the summit?

I have never heard anything about this route. From my experience in the area the surrounding roads can be quite rough at any time of year (anyone who tried to summit Arvon before the road upgrades will agree with this). I would love to find out though if anyone has more info!

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Oct 10, 2013 12:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Is Arvon visible from...

We noticed a couple of "bumps" along the mountains when we were along the Baraga shoreline. I take it that one of them is Arvon? Also, is Arvon visible from the Keweenah Peninsula?

dwhike

dwhike - Oct 20, 2013 4:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Is Arvon visible from...

The only place I know that you can see Arvon from across the water is along the east shore of Point Abbaye north of L'anse. I believe the Keweenaw Peninsula is too far distant to view the summit. If the view from the Baraga shoreline you are referring to is south of the town of Baraga the high 'bump' you see is Mt. Curwood which is Michigan's second highest point by less than a foot.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Mount Arvon' main page