Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
Gabriele Roth

Gabriele Roth - Aug 14, 2005 3:04 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

fine and complete :)

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Aug 14, 2005 6:25 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very interesting and special!

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 14, 2005 8:05 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Dear Vid,



Tank you for your vote and support. As I told to other members, I appreciate very much those votes, specially when they come from 'veteran' members of Summitpost, who have such complete pages build along the years. This gives the vote a double value (for me, of course). Thanks.



I will try to look to your photos. I am photographer, so I will be critic with them. :-)



Mount Athos is, indeed, a very special place, not only as a mountain destination but as a world's cultural heritage.

Ed F

Ed F - Aug 14, 2005 12:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting peak. Thanks for adding.

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 14, 2005 2:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Sisyphus,



Thank you for your vote. Mount Athos was one of the 'big' missings in Summitpost. Let me know if you come to Europe to climb it.



Corax

Corax - Aug 14, 2005 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

A very, very interesting and complete page.

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 28, 2005 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Corax,



Thanks for your vote!

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Aug 15, 2005 7:58 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page, impressive mountain!

-Britt

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 16, 2005 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you very much for your vote. And the page is not yet finished! Thanks.

jck

jck - Aug 25, 2005 4:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

It's great to see that someboby maintain page about that mountain. But please: add more photos!!

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 25, 2005 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hello Jck,



Congratulations with your top at the Grosslockner. And thank you very much for your vote. I think that this mountain could be something for you. Maybe the NW ridge?



About the foto's...They will come, but we have to be patien for next year, when I will try that ridge...I do not have more photos than those in the page.



Mount Athos keeps itself that way some kind of misterious place.



jck

jck - Aug 26, 2005 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think you're right.That might be something for me because I'm rather traveller than climber.

I'm pretty happy abi\out climbing Grossglockner because I did it with broken hand(plaster case on right hand) so I thought that during this season I wouldn't climb any mountain...

I was looking for info about Athos but noone maintained that mountain so I'm very glad that you have done it, really....and I'm waiting for more photos.I cannot imagine how this mountain looks like and now I know-it's really beautiful-prettier than Olympus.

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 27, 2005 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Jck,



I do not know if Athos is more beautiful than Olympus. I have never been in Olympus...yet. But I can surely tell you that a trip to Athos is much much more interesting that just climbing a 'pretty' mountain. Agio Oros is another world. You get a cultural shock there. And you can climb the mountain as well...'...because it's there' as Sir Edmund Hillary said.



Greetings,



John

jck

jck - Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

John,

I know that's a spiritual feeling of climbing Athos.This place is so mysterious and just few people may get there-that must be great. The beauty of this mountain I think is all that. I wanted to see that mountain,I never dreamt about climbing it but know as you tell I must think how to organize the trip and just go there. It's fantastic that you were that, see the majesty and fell the mystery of that mountain-as you can see you're the only one from SP who did it.

I always though that George Mallory said that when he was asked "Why does he want to climb Everest?" but maybe I was wrong.

Cheers

jacek

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 28, 2005 4:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Jck,



Probably was Mallory who told that...I am very bad with somebody's else citates.



About Athos again, 21 april is Holy Friday in Athos...that's the day to be there. I could advice you to call the office in Thesalonniki around mid november for your reservation of a place to entry Athos the 21st.



Do not hesitate to ask for any help or extra info if you are planning your visit.



Good luck with it.



John

jck

jck - Aug 28, 2005 5:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

JOhn,

Thanks for everything,I'll think about that but as I'm student April is not very good time for me.

What are the costs of permission and other facilities needed to be there?

Regards

jacek

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 28, 2005 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Scott,



I would like to thank you for your vote for my page of Agio Oros. It is just a begining. Sometime I would have such a big and complete profile as you have...

alkiskond

alkiskond - Aug 30, 2005 4:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Vey nice work ! Congratulations !!

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Alkiskond,



Thank you very much for your 4 stars vote. I will try to improve this page as quickly as I have the chance to climb the NW ridge or even to go back to Athos. It is, after all, not so easy to go there and less easy to combine the visit of the beautiful monasteries with a climb. There is so much to see there that there is never time enough.



I am a greek fanatic, in the good sense.

John Climber

John Climber - Dec 9, 2005 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Rad,



Thanks for your vote! Do not forget to visit Agio Oros when you come to Europe. It is an unique place on Earth.







Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
Return to 'Mount Athos (Agio Oros)' main page