Viewing: 1-4 of 4
musicman82

musicman82 - Apr 16, 2009 11:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

This is a great-looking peak - kudos on a nice page!

D-bo

D-bo - May 6, 2009 8:47 am - Voted 10/10

Great Peak!

Looks amazing and fun. Good job.

schmed

schmed - Sep 9, 2009 1:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Which summit is really highest?

I climbed this peak on 3 September 2009 with a friend from Lucys Foot Pass. It appeared to us that one of the four peaks just to the south might actually be higher than the one on which the summit register is currently located. One might refer to the peaks running from north to south in the immediate vicinity as:


  1. Broad mass on which register is currently placed

  2. Phallic tower (clearly shorter)

  3. Cockscomb (significantly shorter)

  4. Crest of buttress with class 4+ summit fang

  5. Crest of buttress with class 3 summit


Note: I have posted a photo of Mt. Ericsson from Millys Foot Pass that clearly shows all of the above (from left to right).

We first climbed #5, but #4 seemed higher. We then climbed to the base of the #4 summit fang, but realized that it probably wasn't where the register was placed (the route being rated class 2). I peeked through a slot toward the north and saw the easy broad class 2 gulley containing #3 and #2 (bounded by the easy class 2 rocks leading to #1). We descended and found a way around the buttress below #4, then climbed #1. From here, it seemed like #4 was actually the tallest (confirming our impressions from the vicinity of #4 and #5).

There is a picture taken from the northeast on p.139 of R. J. Secor's The High Sierra - Peaks Passes & Trails (3rd edition, second edition has same picture on p.134.) Here, it appears that Secor has in fact labeled #4 as "MOUNT ERICSSON" (perhaps inadvertently), and I believe I can see all five of the summits referred to above.

It made me wonder whether Bolton and Lucy Brown happily convinced themselves that the class 2 summit "must" be higher, and then those who followed were only too happy to agree with them.

Would that my own conscience could be so easily convinced.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Sep 10, 2009 6:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Which summit is really highest?

I added your comments to the main page. If you look at the 2nd photo on the peak's web page, you can see what schmed is talking about.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Mount Ericsson' main page