Viewing: 1-8 of 8
lcarreau

lcarreau - Aug 17, 2010 8:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Chad..

You're doing an excellent job on the labels!

But, please don't be giving away your secrets. I'm a "blabbermouth," and if I caught drift of this, then EVERYBODY
would be doing it.

Where's Cathedral Peak? Is it off to the NW of Florence?
I need to check it out on Google Earth. Thanks ..

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 17, 2010 8:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Chad..

Thanks so much Larry! I'm glad folks like them, I may start doing more, or put some together from other photos I already have. The most time consuming part is actually the stitching them together sometimes.

Still, lots of looking at maps (TOPO!), drawing lines on them, etc... and it helps to go to an area more than once to see different angles. I was in this area two weekends, that helped me identify the peaks to the south.

Cathedral is NW as you say, about 35 degress off photo on the left. It is not visible from Florence. Vogelsang and the other high peaks around Tuolumne Pass and Vogelsang Pass block it from the view.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Aug 17, 2010 9:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Chad..

Thanks for the information!

So, you went up 'Rafferty Creek,' and Lewis is on the other side.
Gracias ... nice pictures!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 17, 2010 9:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Chad..

No problem. Topo! is a great program for this, as you can easily draw an array of lines to known peaks, and use the angles to identify other ones.

Yes- up Rafferty to Vogelsang Pass, then up Lewis Creek (beautiful area) and up Simmons Peak (had to wait just under the summit a while for a storm to pass). After Simmons I planned to go over the ridge to the south side of Florence, but another storm popped in so I camped by a small snowmelt stream where I was, then up Florence the next day and out via Florence Creek to Rafferty.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Aug 17, 2010 9:29 pm - Voted 10/10

What a "page whore"

jesus, one after another with you. Again, nice!!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 17, 2010 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What a

If I'm a whore then where is my money???

Thanks!

Noondueler

Noondueler - Aug 17, 2010 9:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Another fine page Chad.

Florence is one I have always seen from distances but never had the pleasure of the summit view.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 17, 2010 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another fine page Chad.

Thanks Noondueler. It's a great area to go to, and once you pass Vogelsang you are likely to have it all to yourself.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Mount Florence' main page