Mount Israel Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
nartreb

nartreb - Jan 10, 2007 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

couple corrections & suggestions

Welcome to the site, a fine first effort.
You've made a classic beginner's error when entering the longitude: you entered it as a positive number even though you meant West longitude, shich should be entered as a negative number. (Otherwise, SP's mapmaking tool gets very confused.)
This mountain is in the Squam Mountains, which are part of the Sandwich Range in the Whites, not the Lakes Region though it's right near the (rather vague) border.
Your Getting There section needs some work:
Give some directions to Center Sandwich from a major highway (like 93). From Center Sandwich, give direction (eg, Northeast) as well as street names and distances.
Are there any other trails? (hint: Mead Tr) Where do they start from? Are some trails much longer or more difficult than others? (You might want to have a separate section for 'trails overview'.)
This mountain lies within the White Mountain National Forest, so see the WMNF website for rules on things like camping (or check the links from SP's White Mountain page or the pages of other mountains nearby). Be sure to check whether (any part of) the mountain lies within a designated Wilderness Area (eg the Sandwich Range WA) where additional rules may apply.

royswkr - Jan 14, 2007 10:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Hi BK,

Is EK tired of writing reports or was he working that day :-)

One thing you might mention is that this peak has a double summit - if you go up the Wentworth Trail you drop off the lower summit then climb again to the higher summit

Here's a photo of the fire lookout that used to be there


And some of your info is duplicated between sections - write it once and you'll have more time for hiking :-)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mount Israel' main page