Viewing: 1-13 of 13
gordonye

gordonye - Apr 17, 2002 1:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Like always, a very informative page.

Dave K - Nov 19, 2002 11:00 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Mt. Mo is on my short list of peaks to climb. Nice page!

Climbpeaks

Climbpeaks - Aug 18, 2003 3:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page. Has anyone ever rock climbed straight up the face to the summit, or is the rock too lose?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Aug 19, 2003 12:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yes, it's been done, but no one who's done it has ever recommended it. The rock is grossly loose, and it has been referred to as the "Eiger of the Sierra". Here's what Secor says:



Northeast Wall and Buttress. IV, 5.7. Fist ascent September 7, 1946, by Charles Wilts and Harry Sutherland. First winter ascent January 22, 1968, by Reggie Donatelli, Alvin McLane, and Brian Bartlett, who wrote in the summit register, "Never again." Ascend the hanging valley north of Mt. Morrison to the toe of the north buttress. begin by climbing the northeast face just left of the north buttress via two prominent chutes. Go up and slightly right over high angle rock for almost 1,000 feet to the crest of the buttress, meeting it at a point where its angle declines abruptly. Follow the crest of the buttress for some distance, passing an outside corner on its left. Climb a prominent red chimney on the right side of the buttress. (This chimney has a 5.8 overhanging chockstone near its top.) Rappel 50 feet down the other side of the chimney to a class 2 talus chute, which leads to the summit.



North Buttress. IV, 5.8, A2. First ascent July 5, 1960, by Jim Wilson, Ron Hayes, and Allen Steck. Start by climbing the northeast wall, then make a 200-foot traverse up and to the right to the base of a crack system on the crest of the north buttress. Ascend directly up the buttress for 500 feet (5.7) to the base of a 60-foot headwall. Climb the wall (5.7, A3) and continue up the crest of the buttress. Pass an outside corner on its left; a prominent red chimney with an overhanging chockstone follows. Rappel from the top of the chockstone down the other side to a class 2 talus slope, which leads to the summit.



North Face. IV, 5.8. First ascent May 28, 1967, by Tom Higgins and Charlie Raymond. Begin by climbing a squat, black rock about 200 feet to the right of the toe of the north buttress. This first pitch is devious and difficult, and the route generally goes straight up, but goes to the right where the black rock turns gray. Traverse down and left (5.8) past a clean, sharp dihedral to a broken area. Continue up broken rock to the base of a large, white rock (shaped like the state of California), which is visible from the hanging valley below. A friction traverse left leads to an exposed corner, and the corner leads to the crest of the north buttress. Continue up the crest of the buttress to a gold-colored chute. This chute leads to a steep headwall, followed by a thin ridge, which leads to the summit. After the first four pitches, the climbing is never more difficult than 5.6.

hgrapid

hgrapid - May 21, 2004 2:02 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

This is really what a mountain page should look like, and should contain. Kudos.

wildstar

wildstar - Mar 23, 2005 9:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good looking page.

Blair

Blair - Jan 15, 2007 5:44 am - Voted 10/10

Great Page!

Death Couloir? Got any interesting stuff about that I may ask?

mhengst

mhengst - Apr 1, 2010 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Southern Ridge

Has anyone climbed the southern ridge from the area of Bright Dot Lake? Any idea of the class involved?

mhengst

mhengst - Apr 4, 2010 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Southern Ridge

Thanks!

Are you aware of any class 2 routes accessible from the western side without hiking back out to Convict? We're going to be camping around the Lake Genevieve area.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 30, 2014 12:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice job

on beefing up the page, photos especially. Guess you took it over from The Chief.

96avs01

96avs01 - Dec 9, 2014 11:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice job

Many thanks!

Kiefer

Kiefer - Feb 10, 2016 3:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Beauty!

Nice page!

96avs01

96avs01 - Feb 11, 2016 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beauty!

Many thanks! Cheers

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Mount Morrison' main page