Mount Taylor Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Jan 27, 2003 9:24 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Really good page! Just needs pics.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 27, 2003 9:35 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page, just needs some pictures. Hard to believe that treeline is above 11,000 ft. That's really wild.

dsnell

dsnell - Jan 27, 2003 9:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Indeed I do need pictures. I am in the process of getting some from other folks who took a camera on their trip (I didn't). About treeline, there are places near Wheeler Peak, NM where the trees are almost at 13,000'. I read in this book, Mountains of the World, that the trees on Wheeler are some, if not THE, highest trees in the world. Come to think of it, the tree line on the Mexico volcanoes is pretty close to 13,000' also.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 28, 2003 8:59 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Pretty incredible as I am used to treeline at about 6000 to 7000 feet where I am. Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing your photos.

dsnell

dsnell - Sep 15, 2003 10:05 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Jan 12, 2007 8:44 pm - Voted 9/10

Great Area

I like this area, just visited it last week. Unfortunately never had a chance to summit Mt. Taylor due to snow and ice. Visited El Malpais and Cibola National Forest. Thanks for posting this page!

danon@cheerful.com - Jul 23, 2016 9:37 am - Hasn't voted

Great and "easy" hike

Easy in that the trail is just the right incline for hiking at an easy pace although it is 2000' of elevation gain and 3 miles one way. Fantastic view with few to no humans around.

On the way up, I lost the trail at the creek and followed a cow path through the meadow which actually worked out nicely because although the trail ended, the grass was not too high and it was a nice grassy meadow.

When going up, you need to beware when you cross the creek, don't step over the big logs on your left; but follow the trail to the right - downhill and away from the peak for a short way. This is not intuitive and the reason I got off trail.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mount Taylor' main page