Viewing: 1-16 of 16
desainme

desainme - Aug 11, 2005 9:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good thing it hasn't repeated the 79AD act while I've been around

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 11, 2005 9:51 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

It's about time this important historical peak showed up.



A suggestion: you should use the Italian spelling "Monte Vesuvio."

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 11, 2005 10:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

[quote] A suggestion: you should use the Italian spelling "Monte Vesuvio" [/quote]



I actually considered that for a long time, and then i decided to use the Anglosaxon spelling in the header, and the Italian spelling in the text. But when i made edits to the text, i apparently started using the Anglosaxon spelling again.

The result is that i've ended up with half of the references in the text using Italian spelling, other half using Anglosaxon spelling.

I am gonna sort that out though.

The reason why i decided to use "Mount Vesuvius" in the header is because 85% of the people here are American, and 85% of Americans are hopelessly lost whenever something is not spelled in English.



Clint.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 11, 2005 11:01 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

"The reason why i decided to use "Mount Vesuvius" in the header is because 85% of the people here are American, and 85% of Americans are hopelessly lost whenever something is not spelled in English."



Sounds good, but here was your chance to educate them.

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 11, 2005 11:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Well, i've changed everything in the text to "Monte Vesuvio", and i'll see if i can make the header bilingual...



Anyway, don't take it as an offense. I'm American myself, born in Olympia,WA, lived in Spanaway,WA until i was 4, then moved to the Netherlands. Folks are from the Fargo area, and they're amazed by the fact that i speak 3 languages fluently.

In the meanwhile i'm amazed by it that they can't even speak a single word in another language....

Proterra

Proterra - Aug 11, 2005 11:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

How about this?

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 11, 2005 11:47 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Better on the title.



Small world. I lived in Spanaway from 10th grade to graduation. I went to Spanaway Lake H.S. My parents still live there at the 180th Street/32nd Ave E crosspoint.

Moni

Moni - Aug 11, 2005 10:07 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

The restrictions have been in place at least since 2001 when Fred and I hiked up there. This is an active volcano - more about the history (last eruption during WWII, to the point that the US had to evacuate a bunch of planes and one town lost a bunch of houses to lava.



More links to public transportation,etc are in order.

Naples, Pompei and Herculaneum are excelllent places to visit, although not your usual mountaineering fare (but then neither is Vesuvius).



There used to be a chairlift - the poor old guy who owns it has some kind of deal going with the local buses - you stop there and hear all about the last eruption which wiped out his business, buy a signed book and go on up.



Most of the typos have been fixed, although in a few places there is i instead of I (I do this all the time myself). The general negative tone is gone.



There are several typos and the general negative tone about the local people, who are trying to make a living (basically all tourism is just a form for what is happening here) should be removed.

Johan Heersink

Johan Heersink - Aug 12, 2005 9:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Its not perfect yet, and i hope you will add further info, routes, more photos and so on. But still 4 stars for finally having this, one of the best known of all, mountain on SP!

Scott

Scott - Aug 12, 2005 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Not perfect, but not bad either. I'm sure you will fix the minor problems. I would perhaps use a different signature photo, such as the nice one of the crater.



This is one of the most famous mountains in the world, so I think it has a place here. I assume that any other routes might be restricted?

_____________________________________________________________________



Thank you for removing the offensive comments.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Aug 12, 2005 11:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

About time! I thought Vesuvius would have been a post long ago!

William Marler

William Marler - Aug 15, 2005 10:12 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

This is basically a good page. But with so much history and information available. It just should be flushed out more and made into a page worthy of this very famous volcano. Need more info plus images. Cheers William

Gabriele Roth

Gabriele Roth - Aug 18, 2005 3:31 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Now that offensive phrases are gone away the page looks better :)

fdoctor

fdoctor - Jan 21, 2006 12:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

A great, great page. I love it when someone takes the rouble to add somthing extra to the route, the summit, the camping, how to get there etc. Brilliant!

B

Proterra

Proterra - Jan 22, 2006 6:10 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Brian.

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Sep 28, 2011 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Super Easy Summit

There are many ways to get to the summit. See my notes in "corrections" section.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Mount Vesuvius / Monte Vesuvio' main page