Peck Hill Comments

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
EricChu

EricChu - Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Very nice mountain page!

Thanks for posting us this page and all these remarkable pictures of North Dakota!
Many greetings,
Eric

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice mountain page!

Thanks Eric!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 18, 2010 12:09 am - Voted 10/10

Finally!

Finally, someone puts up a mountain page for this park. This is a truly beautiful area that is, like you said, unloved. Nice work!

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Finally!

Thanks much! I found the area sort of exotic. I would love to try the Mah Daah Heh Trail. Have you been out there?

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Finally!

Nope, never even been to North Dakota. Harney Peak in South Dakota was actually my very first State high point. My company has some power plants in North Dakota (waste recovery units of gas compressor stations), so hopefully I will get out there some time.

jdzaharia

jdzaharia - Mar 18, 2010 11:09 am - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Thanks for adding this page. How did it become named Peck Hill?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 18, 2010 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Frankly, I, nor any of the rangers, had any idea about where the name came from. Nonetheless, the older guys agreed that was what it was called. Go figure...

jdzaharia

jdzaharia - Mar 18, 2010 11:27 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice!

Cool. I've never heard it called anything except the Teddy Roosevelt NP high point. A person learns a lot from old timers and locals.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 18, 2010 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Have you climbed it before?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 18, 2010 12:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

That is good stuff. Post it here too, if you would. Others may be more likely to see it in the comments section.

jdzaharia

jdzaharia - Mar 18, 2010 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

A tidbit.

My wife and I decided to hike to the old entrance station in Teddy Roosevelt NP on a random 100F day in 2008. After poking around the entrance station, we continued down the old entrance road and hiked the interesting-looking buttes to the southwest of the road. Upon returning, a ranger just happened to be giving a guided tour of the old entrance station to another couple. As we walked toward them, they asked us if we wanted to join them, so we did. The junipers provided welcomed shade. The ranger showed us inside the building, which was awesome to see. The stonework that was done by the CCC in the 1930s was neat to see. There is a very nice fireplace built into the wall. The ranger also showed us the stone outhouse. Only shortly after returning home, did I realize that if we would have chosen to climb the hills to the northeast of the road, we would have made the THRO hp. Only now have I learned that the hp is called Peck Hill. Interestingly, after the old entrance was closed, the large stone sign was moved to the Painted Canyon overlook on I-94, and remains there today. It is impressive that they were able to relocate such a large and heavy structure.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Peck Hill' main page