Pilot Rock Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12

Dave K - Sep 13, 2004 5:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page. I frequently travel to Ashland and have spotted it many times.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 13, 2004 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi David,



Thanks for the compliment and the vote!



To answer your question: The photos looking up and looking down the NW cleft show the only way up without equipment that I could find and I'm guessing this would be a class 3 or easier 4. It's not quite as bad as it looks and though the exposure looks harrowing, with the cliff face towering over you on the left, it gives one a better feeling of security than you would otherwise have. The rock has plenty of good holds where they are needed. The upper part of the cleft is somewhat polished but still fairly easy to climb.



I'll have one more photo posted in a few minutes that looks down the cleft so you can see what you are getting into.



best regards,



Don

tlogan

tlogan - Sep 13, 2004 6:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 13, 2004 7:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and the compliment!



dn

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Sep 13, 2004 10:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page and have a good one!

-Britt

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 14, 2004 4:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the vote and the compliment.



dn

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 14, 2004 1:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Cool. I once thought about heading down there and adding this one to SP as well. Looks like I'll definitely have to get down there sometime to tick this one off.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 14, 2004 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and the compliment. I was kinda surprised this one wasn't already up, as prominent as it is. The views are great from the top.



dn

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 14, 2004 4:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the vote!



dn

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 14, 2004 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the vote but since you voted 3 stars, please let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the page.



Thanks,



dn

Chris Doig

Chris Doig - Sep 15, 2004 4:28 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Hi mtnrunr

I was happy to see this page. I was almost sure that I'd seen this rock from the thumbnail. I gave it 3 stars because being new, there hasn't been alot of additions/contributions that make a page really great. The page is fine, I just like to reserve 4 stars for the very best for pages and photos. I notice that 90 percent of the content on SP is rated 4 stars. My opinion is 4 stars is the very best, not most of the content. Please don't feel slighted in any way as for me 3 stars is above average. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 15, 2004 12:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

No problem, Chris, and I basically agree with your comments. There have been some posts from time to time on SP message boards concerning the rating system not being sufficient. Might be time to resurrect one of those threads or start a new one. Thanks for the response!



Best regards,



Don

rpc

rpc - Sep 21, 2004 8:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page on a worthy formation. I'm wondering if it's listed in any of the climbing books for Oregon - I'll check Dodge, Thomas, or Orton's guides tonight.



Not sure what's up with the 3-star vote w/o giving a reason?

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 22, 2004 7:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and the compliment.



I asked the three star voter why and he explained that he reserved 4 star votes for the best pages, pics, etc. He's bucking the trend but I thanked him for the consideration anyway and couldn't help but agree with his contention that SP seems heavy with 4 star pages. I suppose the voting system could be improved but it works pretty well the way it is.



I'd be curious to find out if Pilot Rock is in one of the guides.



I'll be going down there next Monday to get a few more pics and gather some more data.



best regards,



Don

rpc

rpc - Sep 22, 2004 8:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Don,

I checked the Greg Orton guidebook (currently out of print....but if you're interested I know which store still had 2 copies as of 2 days ago :) and Pilot Rock IS in there. I'll add in the book.

Have not yet looked at Dodge or Thomas.

regards,

radek

rpc

rpc - Sep 22, 2004 8:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

...sorry, forgot to mention that the guy has a web site that is supposed to compliment the book:



www.climbsworegon.com

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 24, 2004 12:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi Radek,



Thanks for the info and adding the book. Who's got a copy?



Also, I've added a link to Orton's web page that has a couple of pics of rock climbers on the peak.



regards,



Don

rpc

rpc - Sep 24, 2004 1:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Don,

OMC (Oregon Mountain Community) in Portland had 2 copies when I was there earlier this week. Think Orton is working on 2nd ed. but that might take a while....

It's a good guide and a nice resource (esp. since there's nothing else covering those climbs).

radek

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - Dec 21, 2004 2:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page--I like the geological and historical information. It really helps to make a page complete.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Dec 21, 2004 8:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and compliment.



dn

Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12
Return to 'Pilot Rock' main page