Viewing: 1-5 of 5
theronmoon

theronmoon - May 24, 2007 1:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Peak

I was just trying to find a good peak around Santa Fe this morning and here it is, cool page. Is the road closed in the winter time? I will be in the area in late Dec. any other warnings about that time of year?

streeyyr

streeyyr - May 25, 2007 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Peak

This peak is officially open only twice a year right now - once in the fall and once in the spring. If you click on the attachment, you will see the OMEP calender of events. That will tell you when the Placer Peak hikes are. There is no hike in December. I'm sure Goldmine Road is open all year since it leads to the mine, but you can't drive the 4WD road on your own because it is behind a locked gate. It probably isn't passable in the winter anyway.

hgrapid

hgrapid - May 24, 2007 4:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Good start, but...

I gave this page 9 out of 10, because I think you need a little more description. Also, check on the route page. While you can click on the PDF map file and it does come up, the attachment is not so clear on the page. Also, if you do not have a 4WD vehicle, how much does that extend the hiking distance and elevation gain? Can you park before the 4WD road? Look into these issues. As usual, you produce a quality page, so take this only as constructive criticism.

streeyyr

streeyyr - May 25, 2007 12:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good start, but...

I don't know how to attach a PDF file to make it clearer. I sent an e-mail to the SP elves about it, but they haven't responded back.

Placer Mountain can only be hiked with a guide. You don't do this hike on your own. If you don't have a 4WD vehicle, you can park at the end of Goldmine Road and catch a ride for the last 2 miles with someone who has one. That's what I did. When you sign up for the hike, they ask people to bring 4WD vehicles. The guide told me they always have enough 4WD vehicles, so hiking the 4WD road shouldn't be an issue. The 4WD road climbs 600' to the trailhead.

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Sep 14, 2016 6:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Placer Peak Closed

As of May 2015 the Santa Fe Botanical Gardens are no longer hosting programs at the Ortiz Mountains Educational Preserve. They are directing people to the Santa Fe County Open Space website.

https://santafebotanicalgarden.org/ortiz-mountains-educational-preserve/

The Santa Fe County Open Space website has the Ortiz Mountains listed as one of their properties, but no information.

http://www.santafecountynm.gov/open_space_and_trails_program/properties

A recent ABQ Journal article said that Placer Mountain was closed until the county could come up with a new plan.

https://www.abqjournal.com/585617/non-profit-discontinues-ortiz-mountain-hikes-county-will-come-up-with-a-new-plan.html

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Placer Mountain' main page