Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Dean

Dean - Oct 21, 2004 5:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Oh yeah, this is a 4 star page. Never heard of it but I have now, hence the beauty of SP pages.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Remmel is often forgotten. But as you can see it is one of the highest peaks in the state.

Nelson

Nelson - Oct 21, 2004 8:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page for some lonely talus! Too bad about the firefighters. A good tribute by you.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 21, 2004 11:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Their deaths were a big deal in firefighting circles. Poor planning apparently contributed to their deaths, which just goes to show that it's hard to do everything right.



Thanks for the vote.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 21, 2004 10:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent post. I especially enjoyed the information and links concerning the burn and subsequent regrowth.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 22, 2004 2:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

"Is that the actual color of the rock/vegetation (from the fire), or due to the light, or maybe the film? Or my hallucinating?



All four?



Thanks for the vote.



1. Vegetation does tend to be more rufus at this time of year (fall death cycle)

2. Sun is lower in the sky, creating more yellow tinting than when more overhead

3. Yes, film or processing (I think it's more the camera place I get the film developed). Bob Bolton has complained about it but I prefer more "lively" coloration than simply gray rock & ice. I agree there is often too much red or pink showing up.

4. My photos do tend to have a hallucinogenic quality...no they don't.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 22, 2004 4:09 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another entry worthy to be in the SP enceclopedia! I also apreciate the section about fire and regrowth. Fortunate, that nature always makes a comeback.



I only hope she won't give up some day!

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Oct 22, 2004 12:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page! Looks like a beautiful place! Great job!

-Britt

Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Oct 22, 2004 1:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page. Happy to see you continuing to add summits in the Pasayten, of which Remmel is one of the more significant. The burn zone of the Thirtymile fire is similar to that of the Tyee fires in the Entiat drainage about 10 years ago. It should be interesting to compare the progress of the stages of regrowth in the two areas.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 22, 2004 5:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks, Lee. I just put up a new Pasayten page: Coleman Peak. Here's a picture of some regrowth in Kay Creek drainage.

Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wonderful page. Excellent writing!

applewood

applewood - Aug 15, 2011 11:08 am - Hasn't voted

8-10-11 ascent of NW Ridge

My daughter and I climbed Remmel from the NW last week (detailed account posted in climber's log), and found the mountain a great easy mountaineering adventure. The mountain's large and isolated profile had captured our attention from first view at Horseshoe Basin, and just got better as we got closer. We found the NW Ridge a pile of boulders (like you mention), but mostly very stable ones, with several sections of steep good rock (we chose the easiest route through, at maybe 5.2 climbing, as well as several rappels) along the upper ridge. It was a very enjoyable summit outing for us.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Remmel Mountain' main page