Rocky Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Klenke

Klenke - Dec 26, 2010 1:03 am - Hasn't voted

The true summit is...?

I was up there about a month ago so this is fresh in my memory.
Here is my trip report.

You apparently have said the west summit (the "grassy spine" WNW of the summit to me) is the HP, though I may be reading your writing wrong. Though I didn't go over to that summit (I didn't have the time), it appeared to me that the south summit with the little Class 5 rock pinnacle is the probable HP of Rocky Ridge. Either way, it's not where the Rock 2 BM (2024 ft) is at (see this image and here is your shot of the south summit from your "west summit").

It seemed to me that the grassy spine (your west summit) was lower than the top of the south summit pinnacle and also lower than the treed NW summit.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 26, 2010 1:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The true summit is...?

Man, that's a good question! I didn't go to the south summit this time but to me it looks lower than the west summit from the pic of mine you posted in your comment. All the summits measure out at 2,000' on the 15 minute topo. The only thing I can tell is when I drag the mouse over the various summits on TOPO it registers highest on Rock 2. (around 2,022' and around 2.009' at most on the others)
In any case I'd be happy to change it if your observation is true. At this point is seems to be a subjective point of view thing. :)

Klenke

Klenke - Dec 26, 2010 1:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The true summit is...?

Luckily for me my wife's mother lives in San Ramon and I'll have an opportunity to go back up there in the future (I still want to get Las Trampas Peak). I can go up to the grassy spine summit and see what I think.

For sure the south summit is higher than Rock 2 BM (my picture confirms that and my observation confirmed it while there). The only uncertainty for me is whether the grassy spine was higher than the south summit pinnacle. Due to the nature of the terrain behind the grassy spine as I looked over at it from the pinnacle it was hard to gauge the relative height difference. But, when I went over to the treed northwest summit (your north summit) it was obviously higher than the grassy spine.

I think at the very least, from a purist standpoint, you can't count having made the prominence point of the massif until you've climbed the Class 5 pinnacle. I wouldn't put any creedance in the fact that the pinnacle summit doesn't register more than 2024 ft using your Topo s/w. The s/w wouldn't know about that rock pinnacle. Heck, even looking over at that summit from the benchmark one doesn't immediately recognize the pinnacle. It sort of blends in with the trees surrounding it. Those trees' tops only barely rise higher than the pinnacle highpoint.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 26, 2010 2:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The true summit is...?

I'll add the south summit to the page and mention the pinnacle. Feel free to add your trip report and sign the log as well. The true summit is... "to be continued"!

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 26, 2010 2:48 pm - Voted 10/10

nice job!

nice page with some great photos.

Tomek

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 26, 2010 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice job!

Thanks Tomek. There's been a lot of rain lately and the hills are greening up. We had a nice clear day on this hike. I hadn't been up to this ridge for at least 10 years. Happy New Year!

Larry Laverty

Larry Laverty - Oct 19, 2013 12:46 am - Hasn't voted

Thank you again

I'd been to Las Trampas a number of times before in my life but never made it a point to go to the top of this ridge. Your page once again sparked another great walk.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Rocky Ridge ' main page