Sheep Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 14, 2006 2:00 am - Voted 10/10

check your links

Sheep Peak is actually not the 2nd highest peak in the Sheeps. There is a slightly higher peak N of Hayford. I've been up that higher peak (has about 1200' prominence) and so no sign that any one has been there since the survey crew. From the west, it's a tough hike.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 28, 2006 1:51 am - Voted 10/10

fork in road

The cow camp road has one important decision point. After turning right on the cow camp road, drive about 5.2 miles. The road forks; TAKE THE LEFT FORK, which is "uphill". From the fork, continue another 1.2 miles to the parking area.

If you take the right fork, you will go to cow camp springs, with a corral. If you see the corral, you have gone the wrong way; turn around and go to the fork.

As on November 2006, the cow camp road principally requires modest to high clearance. I don't think I would have compunctions about driving my Subaru Outback to the end.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm - Voted 10/10

from Deadman Canyon

"One could hike Hayford Peak one day and Sheep Peak the next, staying over night camping in the Cabin. Hiking from the cabin to Sheep with this route would be about 8 miles round trip and 2500 feet "

Though this is what Zdon says, the trip is actually more like 5000' accumulated gain, since there are many peaklets on the way. The LVMC went this way a few years back, and it was exhausting.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Sheep Peak' main page