Signal Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 5, 2005 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page! Have a good one!

-Britt

Scott

Scott - Feb 5, 2005 11:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page, good history and links.

Eric L

Eric L - Feb 6, 2005 12:58 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job I'm glad that someone made a page because this is a fun quick climb

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Feb 6, 2005 3:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nicely done page.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Feb 12, 2005 12:10 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the page vote!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Feb 6, 2005 4:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page! I'm not sure I like the radio towers, though.

Rob

Rob - Feb 7, 2005 9:46 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done!

Jonodo

Jonodo - Feb 12, 2005 12:08 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Feb 12, 2005 12:07 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the page vote!

davis13

davis13 - Feb 15, 2006 11:42 pm - Voted 8/10

Info

Thanx for putting the page up. It was very useful. The complete Tahoe Ogul list is almost up on SP. Perhaps I'll actually do a page myself and finish the last few (Wade and Black Buttes I think). Anyway on my recent trip the what used to be the snopark was coned off and was being run by the Campground. Still 10$ to park. To use the snow park you had to park on the south side of I-80. I talked to the rangers at Big Bend and they said if the snow was clear I could park at the old stone houses about 1/8 mile west of the trailhead for free. I did and there were no problems (wouldn't overnight though. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Feb 28, 2006 5:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Info

Thanks for the info. I'll incorporate it into the page.

lonehiker

lonehiker - Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail head info

Very nice page. Sorry for the long comment that follows but for those like me who are not blessed with a good sense of direction this should be helpful.

On Saturday 11/8/2008 when I followed the SP directions and my Garmin Street GPS to Fordyce Lake Road I ended up inside the Cisco Grove Campground. Fordyce Road from inside the campground is blocked. After confirming there was no access to the trail, I drove back out past the "guard shack" at the entry to the campground, saw and and turned left on NF-85 which is signed to Woodchuck Flat, etc. (my Garmin Street GPS with 2009 update indicated this is Magonigal Road) I still had a little trouble locating the trail head as it is not easy to identify. You should consider modifying the directions to read: After exiting 80 EB at Cisco Grove turn left at the end of the ramp and cross over the freeway. Go a short distance beyond the 80 WB ramp to Hampshire Rocks Road and turn left. Go about .5 miles and just before the "guard shack" at Cisco Grove Campground, find the road signed Forest Service Road (NF-85), with a sign to Woodchuck Flat. After you reach the end of the hard top travel approximately 1.2 miles. Look for a large rock on the left across from a pullout where you can park. I will post the coordinates of the trail head tomorrow.

JohnB - Aug 15, 2014 9:26 am - Hasn't voted

Red Mountain trivia

During the 1960's we would spend some of the summers at the 4H compound at Woodchuck flat. We often climbed Red Mountain from there going straight up the mountain. On the top of the mountain was an old mining cabin, all that remained was three walls with no roof. We have a picture of it in our family photo album. Being kids one of the fun things to do was looking for the square nails used to build it and other stuff left behind. Today the cabin is gone, I think when they cut the road to put the radio towers in began the final demise of the cabin. About 15 years ago I wanted to show my daughter the cabin and was surprised that all that was left was two corner logs laying on the ground. Though the road goes within a few yards of the cabin site one would be hard pressed to locate it. There are many mining sites visible on the mountain, yes, they did have a cabin!
I hope I didn't bore anyone to death with this, but reading this page brought back some memories and I wanted to share what little history I know of Red Mountain.

Lipp - Oct 26, 2022 6:02 pm - Hasn't voted

tunnel

Is there a tunnel on Signal Peak? Where?

EOD2 - Sep 9, 2023 7:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail Info For CPRR Rock Fire Lookout Building

It can be a little confusing as to where to go. Take the Cisco Grove exit, cross over the Yuba River and you can only go right or left, go left this is Hampshire Rocks Rd. You'll see a campground and buildings with a Kiosk, don't go there. Just before you get there take the road to your right. This is Forest Service Road 85, aka Rattlesnake Road and Fordyce Lake Road. When I was there a hand painted sign to Robert Cole BSA, (Boy Scouts of America) camp. You'll cross a creek shortly after getting on this road. As it climbs you'll go past the 1 mile marker. Start looking to you left. You'll see some boulders and two brown plastic poles "Illegal Trail" just to the right was a boulder with an arrow and "Moe". That is the trail to the CPRR fire lookout rock building. Motorizied vehicles are no longer allow on the trail. As you get more out of the forest there is a log blocking the trail with two of the plastic poles, again "Illegal Trail" for motorized vehicles. Hike to your right and it will take you directly to the CPRR lookout, a few of the old telegraph/telephone poles are still up. About 1,800 feet climb and can be steep places.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Signal Peak' main page