Star Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Apr 3, 2006 9:55 pm - Voted 10/10

How is it...

... that I open a new page see the first picture and immediately know "it's a Kane page"? Your trademark beauty pics are the reason, of course. But your text is always very interesting too. Why is the peak eroding faster than anything else in the area? I mean, why all this talus? What kind of rock is it made of?

zoiker

zoiker - Jun 21, 2007 1:47 am - Voted 9/10

Gangolf.............................

.....many of the peaks near Aspen, Colorado (e.g Maroon Bells, Pyramid Peak, Thunder Pyramid,Castle, Cathedral, and Star Peak)are of sedimentary origin. That area used to be an inland sea several millons of years ago, and the rocks in this range reflect the sedimentary deposition that occured during that time, prior to the violent uplift and formation of the modern mountain range. The steep slopes and freezing and thawing cycles encourage erosion in the form of rockslides. Erosion nonwithstanding, these peaks are great for trekking and 'tough scrambles'. Many are in the range of 4300-4400 meters in height. A rope may not do you any good, because anchors won't hold in this fragile sedimentary rock! There are many 'salty characters' at the Ute Mountaineer climbing shop in Aspen who can give you good advice on the lesser-known peaks!

zoiker

zoiker - Jun 21, 2007 1:41 am - Voted 9/10

I love the way that.........

....Star Peak looms over the Upper Castle Creek drainage. It is still pretty menacing even from Ashcroft and the Pine Creek cookhouse. I love camping at the few available (free) campsites on the lower reaches of the Pearl Pass jeep road. This is much more serene than the stiflingly-busy campgrounds on the Maroon Creek road! If you camp there, don't take my damn spot!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Star Peak' main page