Viewing: 1-3 of 3
darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Apr 26, 2012 5:19 am - Voted 10/10

Imagine that.

Back in the mid 90's I worked for a forestry company based in Mineral. We worked units all over the area, and often used Storm King as reference point. We joked that city folks probably thought it was a big important mountain, for us it was just the highest hill with stumps on it in that area. Good to know that it's known for something else. If things are at all like they were back then, I would recommend contacting the logging companies if you're driving up there on a work\weekday. Logging trucks don't expect tourists, and everybody working and using the road is communicating on radios to avoid head-ons. A sudden appearance of a Honda CV loaded with hikers could get ugly.

Redwic

Redwic - Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Public driving...

According to my contact person at West Fork Timber Company, the public is not allowed to drive on the roads there... only non-motorized access such as hiking, biking, snowshoeing.

But even if doing that, it is always recommended to call in advance to find out current conditions and activities.

Dean

Dean - Apr 27, 2012 4:27 pm - Voted 10/10

One that eluded me

This is one that I was hoping to get in 2007 before I moved to Utah but for whatever reason, I didn't get to it. Maybe on my next trip back to Washington, I can get back to this one thanks to the great job you've done in putting this page together.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Storm King Mountain' main page