Viewing: 1-3 of 3
lonememe

lonememe - Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm - Voted 8/10

Just fun!

This is a really fun mountain. I normally seek out technical, steep, and challenging climbs (read: 4th and 5th class). However, I was out for the last few weeks with a bad illness and took my ladyfriend up to just bushwhack our way to the summit. It was a blast. Bring a map and compass, but from the parking pull out at the base of Tremont, it's pretty much a straight shot north.

The summit views are incredibly rewarding. It was primarily just a majestic and sweeping view of the Continental Divide from Long's down to Gray's.

I am definitely going to be coming back to climb some of the west -facing buttresses too.

cosmichael - Oct 17, 2021 3:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Origins of "Thorodin"

"According to local folklore, early settlers to the Gilpin County area were undecided whether to call the mountain 'Thor' or 'Odin.' So Thorodin became the compromised name everyone agreed on."

Is there any more specific info about who came up with "Thor" and "Odin"? Are there any written or online references about how it got named? Or the same info for Starr Peak? Thank you!

Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 18, 2021 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Origins of

You know, I think it may be attached to Starr. I couldn't find any additional info on it's naming. Though, I would have to agree. It's kind of an odd name. Right?

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Thorodin Mountain' main page