Union Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Andy Dewey

Andy Dewey - Sep 9, 2008 9:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice job

Another great page, thanks!

deekaydrolly

deekaydrolly - Oct 2, 2011 1:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Did I summit?

I think I made the summit 10/1/11, however dense fog and rain made for obscure views and I could not locate a climbers log or USGS marker...I am saving a redo for summer 2012.

Followed most of Cascade Scrambler's directions and here's what's new....at the Nason Ridge Saddle as he mentioned there is now a sign, "Nason Ridge Trail #1583" with parking on the left side of the road. Lots of huckleberries around so keep yourself alert for bears.

I followed the trail up to the boulder avalanche...climbed up and was so close, however, it was raining and trying to bushwack to the top proved to be too slippery and dangerous for my simple gear. So, I climbed back down.

On the descent as the main trail veered to the left, I noticed a large log, which gave view to a possible alternate less steep bush wack...so I decided to follow it...it ascends directly on the ridge.

Stay to the left going up if you sense the trail veering, there are many sudden drop offs towards Hwy 2 (right) that could prove dangerous with a sudden slip on the pine needles.

I eventually found myself above the avalanche and on an apparent summit. I think I summitted but am not sure.

Descending was trickier through the bushwack...I found myself following the hill and soft pine needles towards Stevens Pass ...which was deceiving and kept taking me off the ridge into slippery slopes with sudden drops and having to work my way back up to the true ridge to successfully descend back to the log and main trail. I highly recommend avoiding following the trail down on the Stevens Pass side....very dangerous in my opinion

Definitely a redo when the weather is better for this common hiker....or....time to invest in rain gear....

Cascade Scrambler

Cascade Scrambler - Sep 1, 2012 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

You're right

I've ascended this one from three sides; you're right, ascending from the Stevens side is the burliest of the three sides. The top of Union is pretty flat, and drops down on all sides. If you couldn't go any higher, you reached the top.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Union Peak' main page