Vestal Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
desainme

desainme - Aug 28, 2003 1:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very cool page. Good thing you did it.

mpbro

mpbro - Aug 28, 2003 2:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice work! What an incredible wall (Wham Ridge)! Do you know if the ridge was named before or after the eponymous band?

nickd

nickd - Aug 28, 2003 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

i knew it as wham ridge in the mid '70's. i'm not a big george michael fan (much more likely to find me at a dead show well thru the '80's), so i think that means it predates wham the band ;-)



seriously - i believe the name was given by the first ascent party - likely colorado mtn. club guys in the '30's. i'll check in ormes or a similar source when i get a chance.



n

mpbro

mpbro - Aug 29, 2003 12:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Phew, glad to hear that George Michael had no part in the naming. ;-) My respect for "Wham", pretty low to start with, plummetted even more when ole George had his little "bathroom experience" in Florida. Yikes!



Jerry died before I was able to go to a Dead show...



I fixed a couple links in the body of your page (yes, I've got master editing priveleges...shhh, don't tell anyone! ;-)



-Morgan

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Aug 28, 2003 10:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Awesome pictures, Nick! Good route description and well done page. I like Alan's suggestions, particularly about the train, since most will use it for the approach. The Molas Pass option is likely going to become popular though. All the info you can dig up will be helpful. There's been lots of talk in the hope someone would get Vestal on to SP. It is an important mountain, and this addition really certifies SP as THE mountain climbing site for Colorado. Thanks so much for this important contribution!

smudge

smudge - Aug 29, 2003 10:40 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Awsome mountain and great page!!

Kane

Kane - Aug 29, 2003 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

It's about time someone submitted this one. It might be Colorado's most elegant mountain. The logistics involved in getting to this mountain are complicated-at best.

I would drop a signature photo on the main page, otherwise nice work.

nickd

nickd - Aug 29, 2003 1:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

its not that bad of a trip, actually. somehow the grenadiers have gotten an "expedition" air to them because of the potential for using the durango-silverton train, but they are regularly done as long weekend climbs from the telluride area - to wit:



in early august of this year i had a friend in town from chamonix who wanted to do wham but only had three days. we started hiking down from molas pass around 10 am on the first day, and got to camp in the meadows below arrow by 4 pm. we climbed and descended wham the next day, and got back in camp by 2 pm. we then packed up and descended to elk park on the animas where we spent the nite. we hiked up to molas in the am of the third day, and were on the road by 10:30 am, and back in telluride by noon (via ophir pass). in total not alot more than 24 hours rt. you can do arrow or electric - and any of the trinity peaks if you are energetic - in about the same time.

nickd

nickd - Aug 30, 2003 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks. i didn't include the train schedule, 'cause i really don't see it as really necessary for the grenadiers. certainly fun as a diversion or entertainment, but not needed for access. for chicago basin, pidgeon, etc. the really does save alot of time. but the flexibility one gets from departing molas pass more than outweighs (imho) the 1700' and 35 switchbacks of the molas descent/ascent. to wit:



early in aug. a friend from chamonix had three days, and wanted to do wham ridge. we went left telluride 7 am the first day, got to molas pass (by way of ophir pass road) at 9 am. we were in camp under arrow by 3pm. we climbed (and descended) wham the following day, were back in camp by 2pm. we packed up camp, descended to elk park on the animas and spend the night there. on the morning of the third day, we were out at molas by 10am, and back in telluride by noon. all in all, not alot more than 24 hrs. you can do arrow this way, and the trinity peaks too, if you are energetic.



my point is that you can get in and out of the grenadiers much more easily than people seem to think - if you have a particular target (e.g. vestal, arrow or electric), you can get it in a long weekend.

nickd

nickd - Aug 30, 2003 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

sorry about the duplication. somehow, when i looked, my first post didn't appear, so i redid it. when i posted the second reply, there was the first... times are a little different in the second post 'cause i am senile and can't remember what i wrote the day before...

nickd

nickd - Aug 30, 2003 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

kane - by the way, how do i add a signature photo??

Kane

Kane - Aug 31, 2003 11:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I like the explantation for not posting a train schedule. Do you mention this in your text?



Sig photo. Go into edit, scroll down to the sig photo box and enter the number of the photo you wish to have as your sig photo. You will notice that when you float your curser over your photos it shows a number, thats the number you enter in the sig photo box.



See ya.

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Aug 29, 2003 5:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice Page. I feel that this mountain is long over due, I've been waiting for somebody to add it for a long time. Nice to see it finally added!

Scott

Scott - Mar 16, 2004 4:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Looks like a great mountain. It's on my list.

bc44caesar

bc44caesar - May 13, 2004 12:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page...you should include it in the San Juan Range list.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Aug 12, 2010 11:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Yo Allen...

I'm gonna do some work on it this weekend. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Vestal Peak' main page