Viewing: 1-6 of 6
imontop

imontop - Jan 2, 2010 12:31 am - Voted 10/10

Fun little hike

Great place to snow shoe! I agree with WV. It would be very cool to hike up there on a clear, moonlit winter night. I would definately hit it a couple times a month if I lived closer.

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Mar 31, 2012 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Point of the mountain mountain?

Is this the highpoint of the area that is between the "point of the mountain" (why do we call it that?) and where the traverse ridge comes over?

Dean

Dean - Apr 1, 2012 9:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Point of the mountain mountain?

It is the HP of the range that is east of Point of the Mountain. The Suncrest housing development is nearby and it is east of where they have the paraglider park. As to why they call it "point of the mountain", this link to Wikipedia is about all I could find.

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 6, 2012 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Point of the mountain mountain?

Thanks for the answer Dean! I went up here 15 years ago when there was nothing around and before there was any development. I guess it's time for a re-visit to see how it has changed...and oh how it has changed around there! I wonder if this should be called "Traverse Mountain BM" or "Traverse Mountain Highpoint" instead of View BM---it would sure make it easier for people to identify...

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 6, 2012 12:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Point of the mountain mountain?

When I climbed this in the past, we used to start down in the valley (on the alpine side) and take a trail all the way up to the top from there. Driving by, it looks like that trail is still there. Has anybody else taken this longer (but much more fun!) route to the summit in recent years?

Dean

Dean - Apr 6, 2012 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Point of the mountain mountain?

I have been up and down it but I started in one of the housing developments about half way down the mountain. I know of no one else who has utilized it. BTW, I was up to the saddle of Squaw Peak-Buffalo Mountain yesterday and toyed with the idea of hiking up Buffalo by that way but I had to get back to my work in Orem. I teach at the Utah College of Dental Hygiene. Thanks for putting up the Buffalo Mountain page.....Lions Head is also one that is deserving of a page.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'View Benchmark (UT)' main page