Viewing: 1-8 of 8
BLong

BLong - Sep 19, 2009 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page

Another good page.

Here is some stuff you can add if you want.

There are several ascent routes, and transportation from the main route makes the trip a bit more time consuming. The most common route starts from the pueblo of La Soledad which can be accessed via the center of Acatenango by a 3 P.M. bus. Alternatively, one could pay for a halon from the center of Acatenango as the long 4 hour hike to the summit is best started in the early morning hours.

To climb, head out of La Soledad, filling up on water before leaving Acatenango as no other sources exist. The trail branches off a couple times at the beginning as it passes through milpa. Paying a guide is a reliable option, locals charge Q100 to lead you to the summit. If money is tight, ask for someone to show you the way the first shelter or descanso, as after that point the trail is obvious and never has any other major branches. The trail leading out of Soledad is marked with small white signs that say Volcán, is privately maintained, and contains several small rest stops and huts on the way to the summit. From the summit great views exist of the valley and of several other volcanoes, including the country’s best view of the active Fuego Volcano. Descend via the same route to La Soledad. Alternatively, make your way towards the saddle (Mestiza) between Acatenango and Fuego to head down on the longer but obvious descent towards the town of Alotenango. The hike can be done in one long day from La Soledad, alternatively decent camping options exist in the windy summit cone. If you plan on camping, plan on the ascent taking more time as you will be carrying a heavy pack. No water sources exist on the volcano.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Sep 29, 2009 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page

Added your route description today. Gave you credit in the Credits section and added a link to your page - hope you don't mind.

BLong

BLong - Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great page

It looks great and thanks for the credit! The only thing is the description is really from La Soledad. It is currently under Alotenango.

Thanks for the update!

ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Sep 28, 2009 6:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Old site

What happened to all the old photos? Thats a shame that their gone.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Sep 29, 2009 2:04 pm - Hasn't voted

DON'T KNOW

Hi, I'm not sure what happened to them. When I adopted the page, I kept any associated pictures and albums. If you have pics to add or reinstate, feel free to do so or send them to me and I will add. I also went back through the history of the page and can't find any lost photos.

Mampoer - Feb 18, 2020 7:39 am - Hasn't voted

Altitude of climb

I have some heart issues and would like to climb acatenango later in the year. What is the height that you climb to as obviously it cannot be the summit of the volcano?

Mampoer - Feb 18, 2020 7:39 am - Hasn't voted

Altitude of climb

I have some heart issues and would like to climb acatenango later in the year. What is the height that you climb to as obviously it cannot be the summit of the volcano?

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Feb 19, 2020 3:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Altitude of climb

At, 13,000 feet, this volcano is the third highest volcano in Guatemala. You actually can climb to the peak. Many people camp in the crater. It neighbor, Fuego is constantly erupting and offer some incredible night time shows. The hike itself is difficult, especially when you hit the cinder cone.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Volcán Acatenango (Acatenango Volcano)' main page