Wapiti Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 11, 2010 7:08 am - Voted 10/10

First grizzly sightings!

Happy now?

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 11, 2010 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: First grizzly sightings!

Yes! This was the perfect spot to see them; not too close, but not too far. The first guy we saw from about 80 yards away noticed us first and took off down the ridge before turning around, checking us out, and doing some head-wagging. He then took off across a small snowfield and did an awesome glissade before running off across some really steep scree slopes - wow they can move!

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 12, 2010 12:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work!

Thanks! The name thing is definitely crazy, but it's typical of the other subranges, too; 18 out of the 38 peaks over 12,000 feet in the Southeast Absarokas are unnamed, and it's a similar story in the North part of the range. The mountain in the Southwest range that gets more attention is Younts Peak, which is just 9 feet lower than Wapiti Ridge. While it is still not climbed a lot, it is considered to be the remote peak in the continental U.S. (minimum of about 25 miles approach either way), so it draws more people because of that...

TimW - Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page!

Good to see the photos. A memorable trip, for sure. I agree that the east drainage was probably easier. Led to a fun ridge run as well.

I've heard for Younts they at least used to run NOLS pack trips over the summit - likely not the case with Wapiti Ridge.

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page!

Thanks Tim - it was great going with you! Looking forward to many more...

I'm in agreement about the NOLS groups - this mountain sees next to no visitors!

Tim

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Aug 27, 2010 6:31 pm - Voted 6/10

awesome

Nice work on your page, it sounds like an amazing place to see. I can appreciate what a wild area that is, not much traffic. All of the Griz that I have seen are from the side of the road in Jellystone, it must have got your heart going to see them up in the high country. Great summit shots.

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 27, 2010 11:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: awesome

Thanks Mike! It was definitely neat to see the bears up high; I saw a mother black bear and a cub up near Timberline Lake while climbing Buck Mountain last weekend, which was cool too!

Just wondering about your vote; is there something you'd like to see different? Take care and thanks for commenting!

Tim

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Aug 29, 2010 4:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Looks like an awesome area!

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks - it most definitely is! Unless it's hunting season... :)

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Wapiti Ridge' main page