Viewing: 1-6 of 6
gimpilator

gimpilator - Jan 11, 2010 9:49 am - Hasn't voted

Good Job!

A very accurate report of the events that day. I had a great time even though we didn't make it to the summit. The Snow Lake basin is lovely this time of year.

EastKing

EastKing - Jan 11, 2010 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Job!

It was probably the best day I ever had for photography. This was one beautiful hike. As for the summit, it always is a far away third. We put safety first and we had fun and we made it back with great new memories.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Geez ...

That would have scared the living daylights out of me !

I'm glad you included "Common Sense" on your equipment list !!!

EastKing

EastKing - Jan 11, 2010 11:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Geez ...

It was scary and the trip lead me to cancel my Mount Hood trip New Years Day when I saw very poor weather coming in. "Common Sense" I think is the critical thing that keep people alive in the mountains. I always strive for Safety first, Fun second and Summit third.

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm - Voted 10/10

You made the right call.

Better not to risk it. Good trip report on a worthy winter objective. I realize that I wasn't there, but I wonder if your avalanche danger could have been further minimized by staying on the regular trail route. As I remember, it pretty much stays in trees the whole time up to Gem Lake, and then even past there up the ridge around Gem Lake to Wright Mountain.

EastKing

EastKing - Jan 11, 2010 11:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You made the right call.

I think if we were higher up on the ridge that might have helped out a little but then again I'm not too sure. If you click on the picture that actually was the location of the trail (http://www.summitpost.org/image/542590/542583/the-trail-around-snow-lake.html). That part of Snow Lake actually side traverses those slopes. In summer they don't look bad. But in early winter when all it take is a minor avalanche to send you in to frozen water and break some bones the side traversing of Snow Lake can be dangerous.

Gimpilator has a link to both on his page. I think I like to take a second crack at this one though in early spring when the snow has consolidated more.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Not the Wright Mountain: An Avalanche Tale' main page