Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 25, 2014 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

A shame...

...that the smoke ruined your first impressions of the Greys River Road. It truly is a spectacular drive, almost as good as climbing the peaks. I hope you get back there next summer. I strongly recommend either Box Canyon and the unnamed peaks at its head or Mount McDougal; both are much more interesting than the hike up Wyoming Peak.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A shame...

Funny you mention McDougal..I actually did end up making up that one the day after Doubletop (gonna be next TR I think). Amazing area, and the drive down from McDougal Gap to the Greys River was pretty scenic as well. Hit up Cundick later that day too. Shame I'm done with all the P2K's in that area, but prominence aside I need to get back there this summer. Man, Triple, Stewart all seem intriguing, as does Clause, though apparently that seems a little trickier.

Is Box Canyon one of the canyons slightly northeast of Fitzpatrick?

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 26, 2014 11:14 am - Voted 10/10

Re: A shame...

Box Canyon is in the Wyoming Range, and the trailhead is about 47 miles south of Alpine near a prominent burned area. I do think it's a bit northeast of Fitzpatrick.

http://www.summitpost.org/box-canyon-peaks/245937

Triple is a spectacular peak, and the route is just Class 2. I haven't done that peak and tend to avoid Class 2 peaks these days if I can help it, but I wouldn't mind getting close to those big limestone cliffs. I'd like to get back there again and go up Greysalt or Rock Lake Peak. Clause sounds fun since it supposedly goes at Class 3-4.

reboyles

reboyles - Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Smoke

Soon after the 4th of July it seemed like the whole freakin' state of Idaho went up in flames so your timing was really good. Not only did we see record high temperatures for the month of July, the smoke from the fires was horrible. Sure, you could climb but who wants to be on a mountain with "Red" air quality conditions?

Great TR!

Bob

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Jan 31, 2014 2:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Smoke

Thanks! I did end up breathing that horrid air. Did Castle Peak the day the fire west of Hailey really blew up. Already smoggy in the White Clouds...was planning on Thompson the next day but when I pulled off the dirt road onto ID-21 the entire valley looked like an apocalyptic wasteland...barely 3-4 PM and it was almost dark. Pretty insane

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Pain and Recovery in the North' main page