Peak 9225 split-board descent

Peak 9225 split-board descent

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

Getting up

Me and Nick arrived at Mt. Rose meadows at about 9:00am ready to go. After some minor equipment confusion (we were both on split boards and relatively new to it) we started off heading west into the meadows. We followed skin tracks close to the trees on the southern side of the meadows for about 10 minutes until a smaller meadow that headed uphill appeared. We quickly crossed the meadow and headed moderately uphill through the trees. This is where we started really climbing as we wrapped around a small gully and neared the low ridge. Once we crested the ridge we could see the summit of 9225 only a few hundred feet above us. We climbed straight up a small bowl right to the summit a little after 10:00. The views are obviously incredible, encompassing the Tahoe Basin, Washoe Valley, Rose Wilderness, the Great Basin, etc.

Gettin' down

Once we were up top we took our time putting our boards back together and had a short break before the descent. When we got going we rode from the top of the peak (why not) and stayed on top of the ridge that heads toward Nevada for about 100 yds before dropping down a very steep gully about 40ft wide. We followed this gully until it disappeared into some sparse trees and mellowed out on a small bench temporarily. We rode across the small flat and rode far right briefly until we were on top of a short but steep face. This was the funnest part of the whole run with some fun features all over this mini-bowl. The terrain looked too flat beyond there to be much fun so we unstrapped there. All together we got about a 1200 ft run that was an excellent consistent pitch except one flat bench.

Getting Back

The reason that the approach for this hike is so fast and easy is because your run takes you below the elevation of your vehicle. After riding down into Ophir Creek canyon we then had to climb back out. I would guess it was about 2 miles and maybe 5-600 ft up. That would've been a relaxing stroll back to the car if I didn't have to get to work in 45 min. Even rushed it was an easy return trip, more than worth the hiking. All in all the descent was excellent and the peak didn't have a single track on it after having great snow for 3-4 days. There are some other shorter routes down the peak that don't amount to much more than just steep tree runs. This peak is a gem hidden in plain view from a major highway.

Comments

No comments posted yet.