It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:04 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Screamer's life

If you have Yates screamers bought new in 1999, used only a few times, never fallen on, stored in plastic gear bin in stable temp for many years, still look and feel new, would you still use them for ice climbing now? Or personally would you retire them?
Read more : Screamer's life | Views : 2871 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Gear

Manufacturer Liability

How much of a chunk of the cost of gear do you think can be attributed to liability insurance? Anybody know of any high profile lawsuits against manufacturers resulting from climbing accidents?
Read more : Manufacturer Liability | Views : 14525 | Replies : 82 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

For Sale: Arc' teryx Gamma MX Pant (L)

Arc' teryx Gamma MX (Black, large) in virtually perfect condition; worn 4 times. No visible wear. Specs. here: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/ARCTERYX/idesc/Gamma+MX+Pants+-+Men%27s/Store/MG/item/204471/N/4294967265
Awsome alpine, ice, and ski pant.

$125 shipped to lower 48
Read more : For Sale: Arc' teryx Gamma MX Pant (L) | Views : 1891 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Gear

All-around ice gear?

I enjoy ice climbing, and will be going quite a few times a year. But, I'm not very hardcore and mostly do local, easy stuff. Also, I'm doing Mt. Washington in January and Rainier (Emmons Glacier) in June, and I'm sure I'll be doing lots more NE winter stuff in the Adirondacks and Catskills.

So, given my modest ambitions, is it possible to buy crampons and ice tools that will serve me well everywhere? I ...
Read more : All-around ice gear? | Views : 12635 | Replies : 21 | Forum : Gear

Mountainfilm showing in Chicago

Mountainfilm is showing a film in Chicago this Friday. Ed Viesturs & Jim Whittaker will be there in person.

Friday, October 16, 2009
6:30pm - 10:00pm
AMC Pipers Alley Theatre
1608 N Wells, Chicago, IL

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151591898204

Hope to see you there...
Read more : Mountainfilm showing in Chicago | Views : 3592 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

We’re you once a NooB?

….searching for the ol’ permit at Joshua Tree NP exit in the evening while wearing the requisite backseat BD harness. This only took ~5 minutes, but luckily he had 2 draws ready for a quick clip.....just in case :)

I'm guilty of intermittent noobiness; my most recent encounter with the ol' inner-noob was yesterday (Sunday). My un-tethered chalk bag exploded in the backseat after I chucked ...
Read more : We’re you once a NooB? | Views : 18879 | Replies : 54 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

North CA climbing in Nov?

I'm probably going on a work trip to Berkeley some time in mid-November, and I'd like to get some climbing in, preferably some easy multi-pitch trad since I'll probably climb with some n00b friends.

Will the Valley still be cold enough to climb in, or should I go down to Josh Tree instead?
Read more : North CA climbing in Nov? | Views : 1325 | Replies : 3 | Forum : California

Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Fall 2009

I was able to hike around a bit last week and get some views of the colors and early snow. Fall is in the air! As far as climbing ideas, Alec posted some cool ideas a week back in the summer thread:

E Face of Robert's Horn
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/utah/w ... /106088450
As soon as there's ice up there and before there's too much snow

The Rookie Party up by Snowbird ...
Read more : Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Fall 2009 | Views : 11569 | Replies : 40 | Forum : Utah

AT Set-up for Newbie

Here we go again! Every year I am aching to get AT skis...and every year it never happens. THIS year will be different.

From the ladies out there, which boots and bindings are you happy with? My playground will be mainly Eastern Sierra, I am 65" tall and a fairly decent skier. I have googled until I am blind on sales and demos but I am confused about boots soles and compatible bindings.
HELP! ...
Read more : AT Set-up for Newbie | Views : 21167 | Replies : 71 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558236 • Total topics 55858 • Total members 137293