Pilot Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
ScottyS

ScottyS - Feb 27, 2008 11:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Old Trees

As a matter of note, Pilot Peak, like many Great Basin peaks, is home to a few old trees. It has a diverse population in the sub-alpine zone, but down lower in the middle of the Pinyon-Juniper band lies the oldest known (to date) living Pinus monophylla (Singleleaf Pinyon Pine). At over 900 years old, it has certainly seen a lot of sunrises over Lake Bonneville from it's protected perch. It was discovered and dated by dendrochronologists Scotty Strachan and Franco Biondi in 2005.

Dean

Dean - Feb 28, 2008 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Old Trees

By any chance did you guys get a pic of that tree. It'd be a nice addition to the page. I love the ancient trees of the great basin.

ScottyS

ScottyS - Mar 4, 2008 1:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Old Trees

Yep, I have a pic. Will upload it now....

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 18, 2016 6:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Donner Party

It is noteworthy that the original wagon tracks of the Donner Party are visible in the salt flats below the peak. If you want to know more about this, just let me know.

koko head - Dec 30, 2019 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Climbing routes

I have climbed pilot peak 10+ times on 4 different routes and have found the descriptions accurate. The nice thing is you can’t go wrong. You will hate any route you take and swear there is an easier route. miners canyon is as good as any. Talus fields are not a good description There are a few talus slopes but mostly expansive boulder fields that you scramble up some 4 point while wondering if you will become the next Aron Ralston. The trail created by William Eimbeck in 1889 is facinating. It is in railroad canyon not on the ridge but in the basin itself to the north of the described route Most of the trail was destroyed by a massive landslide 10 years ago making the canyon all but impassable but if you find it you will still not use it anyway as small trees and brush have appropriated it for their use.( google earth 11/20/2000 image coordinates 41 01 35. 94 N. 114 04 12. 06 W) Eimbeck trail visible in 9/11/ 2010 image but gone by 10/05/2013 image ( except for some forensic diagonal scaring) If you are interested however in seeing the trail-after reaching the top from miners canyon continue north down the ridge for several hundred yards and bear right There a small portion of the hard earned trail survives.

richh - May 26, 2020 2:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Climbing routes

Read about the Eimbeck Trail several years ago, and wanted to try it. I could see several sections on the Google Earth 10/5/2013 image. Around 9000msl, found a section 0.6 mile long with about 26 switchbacks; estimated grade only 15%! Must have made it easy in its day. But even that visible section now has numerous large logs across it. I'll now stick to one of the proven routes.

koko head - Dec 30, 2019 8:40 pm - Hasn't voted

West face. Last climbed 7/2018

My favorite route is the west face Pure simple ecstasy See the mountain climb the mountain. Route and approach. Google earth the mountain from the west and find the peak. Follow that basin down to where it intersects a very primitive rocky road at a stream Follow that road to the northwest to where it intersects the pilot valley road. Most roads are private and the people private so note the turns carefully as there are no signs and few landmarks When you start your climb at the stream stay on the south side of the stream and bushwhack through the trees til you reach the rocky basin and can see the top. No water no cell phone no people and large tippy rocks on an occasional 4 point summit push. Miners canyon is probably slightly easier. I find the trip down to be as long and slightly harder as there is a lot of boulder hopping

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Pilot Peak' main page