Profitis Ilias

Profitis Ilias

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.67585°N / 24.38248°E
Additional Information County: Cyclades
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2454 ft / 748 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Profitis Ilias, 748m
Chapel at Profitis Ilias

Profitis Ilias is with 748m the highest summit of the Island of Milos in the Cyclades, Greece. The name Profitis Ilias refers to the prophet Elias and is a common name for the highest peaks on Greek Islands. The summit is on the western part of the island of Milos which is scarcely populated and has mainly bad/ macadam roads. As it is the highest point on Milos the area is heavily used for telecommunication (transmission towers) and energy production (on the east side of the summit).

But if you hike up to Profitis Ilias from the north-east you can find meagre mountain landscape with some flowers, goats and maybe a Milos viper (Macrovipera schweizeri). At the end you reach the chapel Profitis Ilias and the signs of civilization.

You may also drive up to the summit by car. But if you do so you will miss the very nice mountain landscape with beautiful views to Milos bay, Milos island and the neighbouring island of Kimolos.

Getting There

With bike, motorbike or car from Adamas on the main road in south-east direction around Milos bay to the western part of Milos until Aghia Marina (church). There the concrete road ends (11,5 km from Adamas).

For the north-east route you can go further up to Katsoghria on a macadam road. You stop at the junction where you can go left to the transmission tower.

For the western route you go further west near Aghia Marina on a macadam road in direction of Aghios Ioannis. After 5,8 km you turn left (east) and may drive up to the summit of Profitis Ilias.

Route

 
Aghia Marina ~180m
Aghia Marina

 
Profitis Ilias, 748m
North east route

From Aghia Marina (church)
at about 180m you go up the macadam road until at the junction where you can turn left to the transmission tower. There you go right (west) on a marked path up to 580m. From there you go south and approach the summit of Profitis Ilias from the south side.



 
Hondhrovouno, 636m
West route




For the west approach
you start at a junction 5,8 km further from Aghia Marina on the way to Aghios Ioannis.
You may go up to the summit by car or hike along the macadam road on the south side of Hondhrovouno 636m.

Red Tape

No Limitations on the north-east approach.
You have to check if you can go up to the summit by car from the west.

Maps

Terrain Maps
Milos/Kimolos/Polyeghos
1:35:000

Road Editions
Milos-Kimolos
1:50.000

Accommodation

There are bunk beds in s small room next to the church at the summit. No blanketandcushion etc.
Accommodation in the main towns Adams and Pollonia.

External Links

Terrain Maps
Milos Island
Milos Viper
Milos Weather