Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.71073°N / 23.64637°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4357 ft / 1328 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyxarias is the fourth highest mountain on Euboea, Greeceā€™s second largest island. It is located at the northernmost tip of the great mountain range forming the spine of the island, right at the point where the range concludes before the Kereus plains of north Euboea. It owes its name to the common box (buxus semprevirens) shrub (Greek: pyxari) which dominates its slopes. Despite its unique, wild beauty and its vicinity to Athens, it is very little known to hikers and scarcely visited at all.

Getting There

The mountain may be approached from four main, accessible by car, starting points:

1) Pagontas village in the southwest (38.676899 - 23.581063)
2) Vlachia village in the north (38.743747 - 23.66688)
3) The Kontodespoti-Limnionas road in the southeast (38.662453 - 23.677086)
4) Pilio village in the northwest (38.755961 - 23.580664)

Route

From all the above, there are mountain roads leading to the foot of the mountain, either walking or driving a four-wheel drive. From the former three, we will normally end up to the mountain's smoother southeast face wherefrom a signed trail leads along the ridge to the top. The latter (and the first if so wanted) will lead you up the top from the rougher northwest side where there is no trail and the peak may be accessed by scrambling and a bit of easy climbing. 

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

Anytime. During the summer months, water is often scarce. 

Camping

Camping is allowed and free anywhere around or on the mountain.

External Links

Trip report starting from Pagontas and ascending from the northwest + photos + map