Ragged Ridge Traverse

Ragged Ridge Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Ragged Ridge Traverse...attempted...

We had great plans to do the entire Ragged Ridge from Easy Pass, climbing "3rd class scrambles", Kitling, Mesahchie, Katsuk, Kimtah, Cosho,passing Grotesque Gendarmes, Thieves Peak and last is Red Mountain then exiting Fourth of July Pass into Thunder Creek Trail that takes you to the Colonial Creek Campground. Somewhere around 20 plus miles. Well, it didn't happen. This will do down in my next album, if I ever get to it entitled, "Peaks I did not summit". We are super impressed by those who have gone before us. The climbs themselves are not news worthy if you are comparing technical difficulties of Alex Honnold climbs with North Cascade chossy, but the whole package of these mountains and the Ragged Ridge Traverse is an incredible adventure. I write this report in hopes that some turbo legged, route finding genius will complete the west side traverse and make a full report. Not one Ranger I talked to at Marblemount, on the phone or in person had even heard of the route or zone. So adventure on...

Bivy, Perspectives, Rewards...

Trip Report:
Easy Pass was the "easy" part. Fantastic place, never been here before. This is where the side hill begins, which could be spelled with an "e". Its only about 1.5 miles from here to Ragged Ridge Camp, but it's work. There is no picture that I can provide to capture the arduous challenge to complete just this first leg. You can find recommendations on SP, CC and so on, but it was like the attempts at the two peaks we did try, Mesahchie and Katsuk, route finding is trying. Nick and I have always told each other that we are the worst at navigating. There are so many eroded snow melt wash outs that range from no issue to "no fall" zones of frustrating levels. It was an interesting trip. Both Nick and I said we need to quit this kind of stuff and stick to the "postcard" routes... even like the Ptarmigan Traverse and some of the Pickets, but now that I'm back I find myself thinking about returning... whatever...

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Aug 4, 2017 1:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Some awesome photos!

I did the traverse from easy pass to get Katsuk, Kimtah and Cosho in one 3 day trip, and went back to climb the east ridge of Mesahchie separately. Haven't some the other shorter peaks though. Will have to go back!

Norman

Norman - Aug 5, 2017 11:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Ragged Ridge

The route was harder than I anticipated...congrads on getting in some remote peaks and glad you like the pics.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2