Roan High Bluff Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Nov 21, 2017 3:44 pm Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2017

2nd of three for the day  Sucess!

The road was gated for the season and I had the mountain all to myself. It's a great area to explore any time of year.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 25, 2017 8:43 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2017

AT NB  Sucess!

This is some of the most beautiful scenery in the southeastern United States. If you were in this area, please do not skip the short side trip to this lovely look out.

larvitar

larvitar - Sep 6, 2017 8:36 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2017

Clouded in!  Sucess!

Hiked up here from Carver's Gap with a friend on a swing through all three Southern Sixers on Roan Mountain. Just as we got to the overlook at the end of the trail, a huge cloud enveloped the mountain; visibility fell to a few dozen feet. I looked out from the bluff and saw nothing but white... which freaked me out way more than a walled-in-overlook had any right to do.

By the time we returned to the Gap, the clouds were gone; the weather was beautiful for the rest of our hike.

eric-griz

eric-griz - Aug 16, 2013 9:00 pm Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2013

Wonderful, pleasant hike  Sucess!

After Roan High knob, but before Grassy Ridge Bald.

CMStinson - May 21, 2012 4:31 pm Date Climbed: May 20, 2012

second 6er today  Sucess!

Hiked over after visiting Roan High Knob. Nice hike on the Cloudland Trail, then returned to Carvers Gap, and onwards....

mlandau3

mlandau3 - Jan 6, 2011 6:50 pm Date Climbed: Apr 24, 2004

AT From Carver's Gap  Sucess!

All 3 southern sixers in the Roans

sprosseda

sprosseda - Oct 7, 2009 12:05 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 1997

Along with high peak  Sucess!

From Carver's gap to high peak, then high bluff, then backpacked in to Grassy Ridge. Good view from overlook.

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Sep 21, 2009 5:36 pm Date Climbed: Jan 25, 2006

Forgot  Sucess!

I was looking through some of my records and realized I nailed this summit the same time I got High Knob in January 2006. Very nice area....love to go back.

friday

friday - Jun 28, 2009 7:49 pm Date Climbed: Jun 27, 2009

Good views  Sucess!

Part of a peak bagging trip of the Southern 6000's in the Unaka's.

While I'm not much of a guy to look at flowers, I have to admit, the rhododendrons there are quite an impressive site to see. The pinkish blooms along the cloudland trail make for an colorful trip to this summit.

dwhike

dwhike - Apr 28, 2006 2:01 pm Date Climbed: Apr 9, 2006

Roan Loop  Sucess!

Done as part of a 12-mile "loop" including Roan High Knob and Grassy Ridge Bald. I was a little disappointed on the way up with the views but what you find at the observation deck make the hike worthwhile. A great peak.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Mar 17, 2006 7:22 pm Date Climbed: Jan 1, 2006

Cloudland  Sucess!

I've hiked this part of the AT many times and I steadfastly maintain that it has no equals. The bluff hike is short and enjoyable. If one ever needs a place to stay on the mountain, my parents live on its western slope in Burbank on Orchard Lane. Cheers!

Cortez

Cortez - Jul 21, 2005 12:07 pm

Route Climbed: AT from Carvers Gap Date Climbed: June 6, 2004  Sucess!

This was a relatively easy sixer. Jennifer & I did it along with Roan High Knob from Carver's Gap. The weather was warm and hazy.

Finding the summit can be a bit tricky. Burl around in the woods around the observation deck and locate the highes rock outcropping on the ledge. This is where the survey marker is located. Late may and early june are prime times to visit this mountain because of the wildflower displays.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Roan High Bluff' main page