Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 17, 2004 12:26 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Glad to see you making real contributions again. :-)

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 17, 2004 5:16 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page, somehow lacking pictures. If you need more you can readily provide yourself on my Monte Biancu page. Half a world away but still very much alike. Nobody will notice ;-)



Cheers



Gangolf

Dave K - Jun 17, 2004 11:25 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice Matthew--this part of the Sierra has been badly underrepresented on SP.

mopeslayer49 - Dec 15, 2016 7:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Name origin

Very good description and you did your homework on this one. The name Rockhouse Peak was the name given by the first settlers in the area. "Herlihy Dome" was given by a guidebook author and is incorrect (see my comment on the Stegasarus Fin page).

On a historic note, the "rock house" that gave the area it's name is still there, but it's not what you may think. According to long time locals, the name comes from a huge rock shelter that was used by Tubatulabal Indians, and later by the first white people in the area in the mid-1800s. It is there if you know where to look and is very impressive. There is also an old stone chimney in a canyon near Tibbets Creek that has mistakenly been called the "rock house",but that's not it.

The Domelands area is full of secret spots if you take the time to crawl around in the rocks........

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Rockhouse Peak' main page