Roseberry Topping

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.50544°N / 1.10729°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1049 ft / 320 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Roseberry Topping is described as a mountain on early maps. Standing no higher than 320m it offers fantastic panoramic views of the North Yorkshire Moors and the Cleveland Hills. Roseberry Topping can be identified even by the most novice hill-goer by striking features that can be seen from distances of up to 20 miles away on the horizon. During the industrial revolution Roseberry Topping was mined for it’s ironstone and jet and during the night in the year of 1912 the west face collapsed, creating the distinctive features we see today. History surrounds Roseberry Topping as can be seen by looking southeast from the summit towards Easby Moor. Here in 1827 a monument was erected in honour of the great explorer Captain James Cook (1728-79). Captain Cook was born in Marton, Middlesbrough – just 4 miles away and was educated in a village called Great Ayton at the foot of Easby Moor. A pleasant walk can be achieved from Roseberry Topping to Easby Moor taking in the array of flora and fauna that meets the eye. Every year Roseberry Topping is climbed by many, families and dedicated walkers alike. For most it is a hilltop climbed as a one-off, to enjoy the rewarding views from the summit and to be able to say at the end of the day “Today I climbed Roseberry Topping”. For many local walkers it has a special place in their heart, as the challenge of Roseberry Topping was their first outing as a child that inspired them to take up walking in later years. Even after aspiring to great mountains around the world, Roseberry Topping remains number 1 for many.

Getting There

The National Trust owns Roseberry Topping and car parking is currently available at the foot of the hill. To reach the car park from afar, follow the A19 to the Stokesley (A174) turnoff. Follow the A174 for approximately 5 miles. Arriving at a roundabout take the 3rd exit to Great Ayton. Pass through Great Ayton, along side the river and over a narrow bridge. Continue to the next roundabout and take the 1st exit towards Pinchinthorpe. Parking for Roseberry Topping is on the right approximately 2 miles ahead. Access to Roseberry Topping is gained by a cart track leading to a small wooded area. Enter the woods and turn left. At the end of the woods turn right and continue upwards. The paths are easy and enjoyable to follow.

Red Tape

No permits required. No use fees / summit fees. No seasonal closures. No parking pass currently required. Wildlife / conservation rules: Usual country code.

When To Climb

Any time of year highly recommended summer or winter being the best as spring and autumn can be a bit muddy. Personal favourite: During the night / full moon with snow cover - fantastic.

Camping

No huts or fees. Plenty of camping / camping barns / bed and breakfasts available

Mountain Conditions

No adverse conditions due to location and altitude so websites / phone numbers not required. No webcams.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Petros

Petros - Apr 6, 2010 3:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail 100

This hill is listed as one of Trail Magazine's best 100 hills in the UK (admittedly number 100!).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.