San Colombano, the famous...

San Colombano, the famous...

San Colombano, the famous hermitage along the road from Roveretto to Paso Pian delle Fugazze - A little play with composition - everybody takes this picture with the church in the middle of picture. May 2000. Recently I received on another forum this info: The hermitage of San Colombano was built in 1319 and, according to a legend, it was named after an Irish saint (543 - 615) who travelled extensively and founded the Monastery of Bobbio. The building, excavated directly from the rock, can be reached by passing through the gorge of the Leno and then climb 102 steps sculpted in the ledge. Local legend still talks of a certain Colombano, who, like Saint George, killed a horrible dragon. Guardians of this small church are the hermits. A torchlight procession is arranged at Christmas. The hermitage was reopened to the public in the first days of October 1996 after a long period, during which restoration work was carried out, especially on the interior. Consequently the building has regained its old splendour, though maintaining all of its original characteristics.
Vid Pogachnik
on Jun 3, 2005 6:03 pm
Image ID: 108357

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Antonio Giani

Antonio Giani - Jun 6, 2005 2:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Bellissimi...

Colori



Ciao Antonio

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jun 6, 2005 5:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bellissimi...

Grazie, Antonio!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2