San Pedro Comments

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Scott

Scott - May 7, 2004 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Not too bad of a page. More details on the route? Could use more in the Getting There section as well.



BLong

BLong - Sep 19, 2009 2:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Not sure if any of this will help...

Here is some info I wrote about the San Pedro Volcano. Feel free to use any of it.

Volcán San Pedro (San Pedro)

Beautifully set on Lake Atitlán, across the lake from Panajchel, San Pedro makes for a great day hike, the easiest of the 3 volcanoes to summit near the lake. The volcano is currently being supervised under an organization who are handling the tourism in quite a sustainable fashion. Because of this you ‘have to’ hire a guide through the organization, which can get a bit expensive at Q100 per person. The guides are quite well informed, and take small groups which is always a plus. Alternatively, just walk off the road, past the guide’s office, and onto the trail on the left side. The trail is very straight forward, and safe, just continue up until you reach the summit.

To get to the starting point, take a boat from Panajchel to the quaint but touristy village of San Pedro, and then a halon to the organization’s office. Anyone on the streets will point you the way to the trailhead. New bathrooms, guides, and information are available there at the office. The climb takes 3 - 4 hours to summit.

For more information, the local INGUAT office in Panajchel, located on the main drag, which has decent information, including maps of the area.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Sep 20, 2009 7:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Not sure if any of this will help...

Thanks,

Any contributions are gratefully accepted!

Tim Geerlings

Tim Geerlings - Apr 3, 2011 12:34 am - Hasn't voted

Guided climb

As of April 2011 what Bryan said is very accurate. It's still a Q100/person fee, (unless you live in Guatemala in which case you get it for Q50 :)
As far as getting there information: Get to San Pedro (can go there by boat from Pana or Santiago, or from land from Guatemala, Xela, or Santiago. From Guatemala or Xela, take a bus towards the other one, and tell the driver you want to go to San Pedro, or to get off at km 148 (ciento cuarenta y ocho). From there just ask for a bus to San Pedro, very simple. From Santiago a bus leaves hourly for San Pedro (10Q, one hour) or a boat leaves about as frequently (25Q, 20 minutes). Once you are in San Pedro, take the road towards Santiago. About 5km up you WILL SEE (cannot miss) the offices on the left.
Incredible view from the top, nice half day trek. As annoying as it may seem to pay Q100 to get in, appreciate the fact that it is one of the cleanest (as in, no garbage)trails in Guatemala, and safe from robbing. It also provides employment to people in an area where farm hands (about the only job available there) earn Q35 or 3.5 Euros a day.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Apr 7, 2011 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Guided climb

Thanks for the update Tim. Your point about the Q100 fee is spot on! Cheap price to pay for a clean and safe place to hike as well as supporting the local economy!

BLong

BLong - Apr 25, 2011 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Guided climb

I couldn't agree more! The 100Q is worth it for various reasons. Some old-school Peace Corps Volunteers would be happy to tell you how great it was to take a rag-tag group of poor thieves who lived in San Vicente Pacaya and turn them into ecotourism guides. Now look at how much success Volcan Pacaya has -- it's great! Not only do you not get robbed at gunpoint, but you get to walk on a trail free from trash while supporting the local economy.

Scott

Scott - Feb 3, 2014 6:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Still under construction?

The page says it is being revised, but hasn't been touched since 2008.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Jul 20, 2014 12:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Still under construction?

Page revised. Comments appreciated.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'San Pedro' main page