SAX TO CABRERAS RANGE

SAX TO CABRERAS RANGE

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.53683°N / 0.82292°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: medium
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cabreras is the highest summit of Sax. Is a beautifull route that you can do in the morning and comeback to Sax for Lunch. The route start in the village, when you reach the summit (869 meters) you have a wonderful view.
The route have 14 km (45.931 feet) and the difference in level beetwen Sax and the top is 450 meters.
The total time for this route is 5,30 hours

Getting There

For go to Sax, take the road A-31 (Alicante-Madrid) and go to the north part of the village. Search a fountain known as the Vilaje fountain “Fuente del Vilaje”

Route Description

The route begins from north part of the village, from a fountain known as the Vilaje fountain “Fuente del Vilaje”, you find this fountain in the “Ancha Vilaje” street.
Start to walk along the village, go along to the“Ancha Vilaje” until the end, continue to the right towards the “Honduras” street until it takes you to the outskirts of the village. Look at earth track to the right, here there is a mark (a white line and other one yellow line)
Continue this way, look always for white and yellow marks. This part of the route crosses a pine zone and typical farmingland of almond-trees and olive trees. Follow this way up to an iron green bridge, cross the bridge over the route of the high-speed train, continue ahead, you can see to the left side an elongated range called “Loma de la tejera”.
Follow this way between two mountain ranges and to arrive to a small parking. Here it is the place for parking the cars to access to the Cabrera's climbing crag, known as “Peña de la Moneda”.
Continue up along this way to arrive to the col. Here take the right path, look for white and yellow marks.
Go along this path (800 meters) between a pine forest to arrive to a small plain. In this place there is a house-cave to the right and a path to the left. This is an ideal place to have a small rest.
Take the steep path up to the summit (30 minutes approximately). When you arrive to the top there is a Trig-Point (869 meters of altitude). From here you can enjoy of a wonderful view of the “Vinalopó” valley and other mountains as “Peña Rúbia”, “The Sierra de Salinas”, “The Fuente del Lobo”, “The Cid” and “Camára”. Also it is possible to see the different castles and villages.
To descend, return to the same path to arrive to the plain of the house-cave. Now take the left track and continue down the track, follow this way to arrive to a big track. Take the new track to arrive to a road.
Turn right at the road and continue approximately 100 meters of distance, take a new track to the left. In this crossing of ways there is a wood sign with indications.
Continue the track until you find the white and yellow mark. Go along this path that goes between a pine forest to arrive to a picnic and camping area "El Plano ". This place is nice for eating and drinking.
Continue the path in the pine forest to arrive to Sax, always follow the white and yellow marks. You arrive to ”Fuente del Vilaje ".
Alternative routes: If you want to go to a shorter route or with children, you can start the route from "El Plano ". Go to the track in the opposite direction, go up to the summit and come back.

Essential Gear

Confortable clothes and boots.
A bottle of water.
A little of food.

External Links

Add External Links text here.