Sherwin Rock Chute Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
granjero

granjero - Sep 13, 2009 2:48 pm

great line!  Sucess!

the first eastern sierra line I ever rode on my snowboard, all I knew was that it looked gorgeous from the deck and that I would start at lake mary road. dropped in in super low snow conditions, had to straightline the upper choke into great pow below! hit it on skis twice since then, once via the classic entrance and once via the exciting fluted hanging face skiers left. just gotta tele it now!

dshoshone

dshoshone - Dec 24, 2008 2:32 pm

fun ski  Sucess!

skiied this many times

Climbpeaks

Climbpeaks - Jul 25, 2006 11:18 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2006

Backside via Coldwater Campground.  Sucess!

We reached the summit of Rock Chute after climbing up from the Coldwater Campground area and proceeding south up the ridge to Peak 10,750(ft.), a few higher points, then turning around and heading towards Rock Chute. I was disappointed to see that the summit register which had been up there since 2004 was nowhere to be found.

Climbpeaks

Climbpeaks - Aug 22, 2005 2:10 pm

Route Climbed: Up the back from Coldwater Campground Date Climbed: August 18, 2005  Sucess!

Going up the back (via Lake Mary Road) was much easier than the front. Weather was great and we had no problems. Summited at 12:30 PM.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jul 20, 2005 11:28 pm

Route Climbed: Sherwin Crest traverse from Duck Pass Date Climbed: July 5, 2005  Sucess!

One of the more memorable bumps encountered during a Crystal Crag-Mammoth Crest-Duck Pass-Sherwin Crest-Mammoth Rock traverse. Pretty good-looking peak when viewed from Mammoth Crest.

chiligod - Sep 29, 2004 8:13 pm

Route Climbed: ridge Date Climbed: mar, 2002  Sucess!

had to note: took turns on the perch and rock chute on


two separate occasions. the pow on the perch that day should be in the hall of fame. it was among the best days of my life. the sherwins are the perfect gateway into backcountry skiing/snowboarding.

chiligod - Sep 29, 2004 8:07 pm

Route Climbed: ridge from ml basin Date Climbed: mar, 2002  Sucess!

did the first finger. my most memorable powder experience

Climbpeaks

Climbpeaks - Aug 1, 2004 4:35 pm

Route Climbed: Front Chute Date Climbed: July 30th, 2004  Sucess!

Easy up until the chute, which is very loose. Their was an ice bank in the chute that was frozen stiff, so a pick and some crampons would've been a lifesaver. Instead, we had to go around the ice limiting our route and making it a sure death if we fell. Started at 10:30 AM, reached the windy summit around 1:00 PM.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Sherwin Rock Chute' main page