Smith Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
mpbro

mpbro - May 25, 2003 11:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Nice overview.



I'd add that you can only barely see the reservoir from the summit (was I missing something?)



As a campsite goes, Smith Peak TOTALLY ROCKS! At least two very flat gravel tent pads, with many other decent ones in the flat area just west of the true summit.



The steep north slopes of Smith Peak hold snow late into the season, which makes water a non-issue until June most years. Also, the abundance of deadwood makes for guilt-free campfires.

mpbro

mpbro - May 26, 2003 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Smith Peak is also accessible from Tuolumne Meadows. Most people don't bother with Hetch Hetchy or Smith Peak once Tioga Road opens, but the White Wolf approach has a few advantages over the conventional Hetch Hetchy approach (though I've never done it). This map illustrates what I'm talking about.



If you take the trail from White Wolf to Smith Meadows, then up the Smith Peak Trail, total distance is 9.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 1730'. Elevation gain on the return trip is 1850'.



If you go cross-country up the southeast slopes of Smith Peak (dashed green line on map), the total distance is only 7.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 1280'. Elevation gain on the return trip is 1410'. Bushwhacking may be required, though deadwood on the Smith Peak Trail is also troublesome.



While the Hetch Hetchy approach spends much of its time passing through overgrown deadwood forests below 6000', the White Wolf approach never goes below 6000' and seems to traverse the south rim of Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for some distance, though views and forest quality are unknown.

fedak

fedak - May 3, 2004 11:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The 2nd paragraph in the "Overview" block should read Smith Meadow, not Cottonwood.



The meadow below Smith Peak is Smith Meadow. Cottonwood Meadow is about 2 miles SE from Smith Meadow along Cottonwood Creek.

k2link

k2link - Apr 29, 2007 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Mather trailhead

Currently (04/07) there are bear boxes at the Mather trailhead, across the road from the ranger station.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Smith Peak' main page