South Twin Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Redwic

Redwic - Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Olivine Corp?

The north approach lands have been owned by Longview Fibre for quite a few years. Longview Fibre contracts out logging work in the area. Oliving Corporation is not the land owner.

BrewerMD - Aug 22, 2013 2:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Olivine Corp?

Sadly, Longview has recently been sold to Weyerhaeuser.

Redwic

Redwic - Aug 23, 2013 4:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Olivine Corp?

Is that better or worse, for people looking to get access to privately-owned forest lands?

I know some hikers who have thought Longview was very difficult to deal with.

carppdiem

carppdiem - Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Access from Middle Fork Nooksack

So apparently Weyerhaeuser now owns and controls this access road (to the Sven Larsen Quarry). There is a sign posted at the gate on the bridge that states the following:
No Trespassing - Private Property - Violators Will Be Prosecuted Under State Criminal Codes - PERMIT REQUIRED FOR ALL ACCESS - Weyerhaeuser Columbia Timberlands - For more information: 360-442-7619 or http://www.WYRecreationNW.com

Looking on their website it appears you can purchase a permit for your vehicle (and they send you a gate key), but it's only good for you, your spouse, and related kids (so no, you can't bring along your climbing buddy). The permit is good for one year, but costs $250 (and of course they're sold out for this year (until renewal time next May).

There are non-motorized day permits available for $75 but you can't camp or spend the night (and you can't ride in your buddy's vehicle that purchased a motorized permit).

We pushed our bikes up the road last Sunday evening, and we were accosted by a security gal in a truck. She explained all of these new rules to us, but thank god she was nice and let us go "this one time" since we were just climbers heading for the South Twin Sister. Whew!

There needs to be some sort of exception for climbers here as the Twin Sisters range is pretty much inaccessible for us these days (unless you bushwhack in from the East from the Elbow Lake trail).

rtgomez90

rtgomez90 - Oct 16, 2018 11:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Access from Middle Fork Nooksack

Thanks for the update carppdiem.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'South Twin' main page