Stairs

Stairs

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational

Staircases

Here in the East and Southeast, the various Park systems and National Forest systems often construct stairs and staircases to take visitors to and from various points of interest. These points range from overlooks, summits, trees, and canyons. Principally, though, the focal point of these feats of engineering are waterfalls.

Since most of these waterfalls are located in very steep and rugged terrain, those in charge have often felt the need to build stairs to enable human beings to gain access to them. Some of these stairs are made up of simple stones that have been rearranged for easier hiking. But, quite often, extreme engineering has come into play. When I encounter some of these staircases, I am left to admire the ingenuity of the folk who planned them, and of the men and women whose sweat and hard work installed them.

Here, then, are just some of the simple and simply amazing staircases that I have encountered on my many hikes up and down the eastern seaboard.

External Links

Falls of Hills Creek.

Tallulah Gorge.

Beartown State Park.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
yatsek

yatsek - Dec 18, 2008 12:43 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting

Welcome in Jolly Old Europe - you'll see lots more. And the mts north of the Alps and Carpathians should look familiar:)

tarol

tarol - Dec 18, 2008 11:37 am - Hasn't voted

Duplicate album?

http://www.summitpost.org/album/229209/Staircases.html

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 18, 2008 5:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate album?

Oops.

Yep. Must have been stuck in the old noggin.

Wonder if I can make mine a child of the original?

Viewing: 1-3 of 3