Stromboli Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Socorro

Socorro - Oct 23, 2011 10:15 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2009

Incredible  Sucess!

Stromboli was the highlight of my Italy trip. The activity was incredible... one of my favorite volcanoes so far. It wasn´t possible to be bored for a second. At this time you had to go with a guide. Also took a boat trip to see the Sciara del Fuoco...really worth it!

markhallam

markhallam - Jan 18, 2011 12:07 am Date Climbed: Jul 7, 2006

Awsome fireworks  Sucess!

The summit area was 'open' this year, albeit that the rules were you went with a guide, something I have never ever done before on a mountain! But it was a memorable experience and the more interesting for all the information and anecdotes from the guide. And I have always wanted to see an active volcano close up - and Stromboli didn't disappoint this year - as sun set we were witness to noisy displays of fireworks every 15 minutes.
We went back in 2008, but the crater was 'blocked' - no fireworks, just occasional puffs of ash - and the mountain was closed above 400m, due to risk of the eventual inevitable explosion, when the volcano cleared its throat and returned to normal activity.

andrea.it

andrea.it - Mar 13, 2010 5:50 pm

twice  Sucess!

Climbed twice, in 2000 and 2002. By my own. Impressive place.

eje138

eje138 - Mar 1, 2009 1:21 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 1999

Route climbed: San Vincenzo - Filo del Fuoco  Sucess!

I climbed it with my wife and a Baraka group as the third volcanoe in a Southern Italian volcanoe trip. We departed at about 5 pm. (because of the heat) and got to the edge of the crater at about 8 pm. We headed down at about midnight. (At that time it was already very cold.)
In between we witnessed a stunning show of mother nature's strenth: thundering roars, shaking earth and red hot rocks thrown up the air every 15 minutes. It was amazing and unforgetable. (As far as I know it is no longer possible to get as close to the crater as back in 1999.)

megitisf

megitisf - May 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Stromboli

Cool! I have been doing a project about it in school, so I had to research loads of information,mainly on the computer! It took me ages, because I organized it into a powerpoint including diagrams. I find out my mark tomorrow! Thanks for the comments!

flow

flow - May 23, 2007 11:57 am

Stromboli

We wanted to climb Stromboli on our own, but police stopped us on the way. So we went to Sciara del Fuoco to see the explosions!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Stromboli' main page