Sugarloaf Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
mtmtnslayer406

mtmtnslayer406 - Feb 24, 2024 12:14 pm Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2022

A Bitterroot Big Boy!  Sucess!

A very satisfying peak to bag!

guerinak

guerinak - Jul 8, 2020 10:54 pm

Solo overnight with pup  Sucess!

Climbed Sugarloaf solo (except with pup) after a night at Hart Lake. As Young Royce pointed out, the 3 mile description is inaccurate-- it is actually over 5 miles till one should depart from the trail and bushwhack towards the North Couloir. Talus is indeed very steep and loose-- had to carry my pup before abandoning her a few hundred feet from the top because I was too tired! Epic outing indeed.

Young Royce

Young Royce - Apr 29, 2017 11:49 pm Date Climbed: Mar 26, 2017

Longer approach than stated

Stopped about half mile from the trailhead due to snow. Skinned roughly 6 miles before even reaching sugarloaf peak, had to turn around because of timing. This website says 3 miles of trail until bushwhack to the couloir and that is inaccurate, sign at trailhead measures roughly 6- 7 miles to the couloir/peak.

MTfred19

MTfred19 - Apr 1, 2013 11:19 am Date Climbed: Mar 31, 2013

North Couloir  Sucess!

What an excellent day to be out in the mountains! Blue skies, no wind, and mid 60's in March! Climbed with MtnEar up the north couloir and it was absolutely awesome! Pretty steep and narrow it was, and the snow conditions were perfect! It was pretty hot and stuffy up on the summit slopes and I got me some sunburn, but was fairly overcome with joy to be sitting on the lofty summit perch! This is a pretty steep mountain overall, in my opinion, and one of the better winter/spring climbs that I have done. I like to take it easy plunge stepping on the way down and enjoying the views. Some would like to ski or glissade, but that just gets me off the mountain quicker and away from where I want to be! Really an excellent snow climb and summit!!

alpine climber

alpine climber - Jun 2, 2008 12:52 pm Date Climbed: May 31, 2008

solo w/ dog  Sucess!

April 6, 2009
A week of storms brought some nice snow deposits. Skied the north face under a crystal clear sky. Avalanches on south slopes, north slopes stable.


May 21, 2008
Beautiful half-day out provided an almost completely clear sky on top. Summited via the North couloir...wait for the sun to hit the snow if you don't have crampons. Shorter climb than expected (seven hours), but still well worth the effort.

benjohnson

benjohnson - May 19, 2008 10:59 am

super fun solo - may 2006  Sucess!

Slogged this one in May a couple of years ago via the North couloir. Couldn't find any partners, so did it alone. Fun (snow) ascent, fun (and fast)descent.(The approach is tick city in the spring, though). I encountered some scary exposed thin snow on loose rocks near the summit. Watch out.

caverpilot

caverpilot - Apr 28, 2008 3:03 am Date Climbed: Oct 3, 2006

Dog route  Sucess!

Long, tricky, confusing approach. No beta! True route finding and I LOVE it! No cheating! The upper slopes are SERIOUSLY loose, take caution! Solo with Teewinot, my trust mountain mutt. Better with snow I bet!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Sugarloaf Peak' main page