Taillon Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Colin

Colin - Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2018

Col de Tentes Route  Sucess!

Fun day in beautiful country! There were many people on the trail, despite it being in the middle of the week. Can't imagine what it would be like during the August vacation month. The refuge at Sarradets is being rebuilt. Construction has blocked the normal path and is forcing a short detour around the building site. From the looks of things, this will last into 2019.

fubar7500

fubar7500 - Aug 31, 2017 3:04 am Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2017

via Refugio Sarradets and Breche de Roland  Sucess!

very sunny and crowdy on Sunday
Col de Tentes - Refugio Sarradets - Breche de Roland - Taillon and back

Flachlandtiroler - Aug 16, 2016 5:19 am Date Climbed: Aug 2, 2016

Normal Route  Sucess!

Normal Route from Col des Tentes via Breche Roland

Andy_Hornung

Andy_Hornung - Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm Date Climbed: Jun 30, 2014

Superb day  Sucess!

A fabulous day. After a week of mixed weather a day of hot sunshine and calm conditions rewarded the climb with spectacular views. This year there was a great deal of snow remaining for late June, meaning ice axe and crampons were essential virtually the entire route from Puerto de Bujaruelo to the summit - much to the surprise of a number of people that I passed en route who had no ice equipment and were forced to turn back before even reaching Sarradets.

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Sep 6, 2012 4:04 am Date Climbed: Aug 30, 2012

great views  Sucess!

day hike from col de tentes via breche du roland and back again

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Nov 27, 2011 5:10 am Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2011

Surprise  Sucess!

After a long drive cimbed from Cal de Tentes to the Brèche and to Taillon beyond.

Trip Report

EricChu

EricChu - Dec 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Taillon, September 1993

After several days of bad weather in the Pyrenees, a sort of Föhn had set in. Luckily I had arrived just the day before at the Refuge de la Brèche, having come over the Bujaruelo pass from the lovely old mountain village of Torla. I started fairly early in the morning, being greeted by a relentlessly fierce wind coming from the spanish side the moment I reached the Brèche de Roland, and even though the weather was good and clear, it was like walking through a wall of cotton all the way up the wide and hardly steep rubbled slope up to the summit of Le Taillon. On that day - later on the wind got less - I also climbed Le Casque, one of the peaks on the Cirque de Gavarnie and also above 3000 meters. I went back to the Refuge de la Brèche and the following morning, as the weather had turned again overnight, through the rain down to Gavarnie.

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Sep 28, 2009 5:04 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2009

A wonderful day  Sucess!

and the last day of out too short stay in the Pyrenee range. Did the normal route from Col de Tentes and Breche de Roland. Some nasty ice below the Breche and on the northside of Le Doigt, due to the recent snowfalls. Sun, excellent views and some vultures circling around the summit and certainly inspecting our summit meal ....

FrançoisJ

FrançoisJ - Aug 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Route climbed: Gabietou's arista SE  Sucess!

Sabrina and I climbed from col des tentes remote and sometimes exposed but easy south-east ridge and then traversed Gabietou's to Taillon and back down via normal route.
Another long day partly in the wilderness...
2003?
Also climbed around 2000

John Climber

John Climber - Aug 2, 2009 3:17 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2009

Easy 3000  Sucess!

Climbed guiding a group of 9 persons on a sunny summer day. 8 minutes runned from the start of the east slope. Followed the route from Góriz hut.

eza

eza - Aug 4, 2008 3:11 am Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2008

Col de Tentes - Réfuge de Sarradets  Sucess!

A wonderful mountain day with views from Castillo de Acher to Midi de Bigorre and Peña Montañesa. I really enjoyed the climb, sharing it with Javi while Rafa and Maribel went for the nearby summits of the Pics de Gabietou (Gabietos).

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jun 16, 2008 6:05 pm Date Climbed: Jun 14, 2008

White mountains  Sucess!

The snowfalls of April and May this year have covered all the peaks with a lot of snow and the routes to peaks over 3000m are very long. The climb from Bujaruelo was extenuant (7 hours!) but the landscape was wonderfull. I love always this impressive place with the Cirque of Gavarnie, the Breche de Roland, the views of the summit of Taillon... it's my favourite place of the Pyrenees.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Mar 7, 2008 6:39 am Date Climbed: Jun 8, 2007

1st time through the Breche  Sucess!

From the car park at Col du Tents, we traversed below Taillon before going up to the Sarradets refuge. From there to the Breche in about 40 minutes and another hour or so to El Taillon via the "dedo". Great weather and brilliant views, particularly of Vignemale. (Ken, Peter & Jonnie with Francois Bres)

[X] Bird

[X] Bird - Jan 16, 2007 6:15 pm Date Climbed: Jul 20, 2002

First 3000er, via breche roland  Sucess!

Easy walk from the parking space in France at 2200m to refuge de Saradettes, from there to Breche Roland and up to the summit. Even some snow in mid summer, realy fun skidding down.

TodoVertical

TodoVertical - May 15, 2006 7:18 pm Date Climbed: May 11, 2006

West Face - Central Couloir  Sucess!

Climbed in the day from the Ski resort of Gavarnie. Approach without hardly any snow until the "Puerto de Bujaruelo". Hard snow to first hour from here to start of the route. First section 70º hard snow-ice, belay (1 peg to right). Second section corky ice 80/85º and snow in bad conditions (1 peg rigt and bolt to the left), belay to left 3 bolts. Soft snow for 80 meters 50º, belay under the ice fall 2 icescrews and a friend. Icefall 85/90º excellent ice, belay right 2 pegs. Rest, soft snow and ice. Final storm, hail and rain.

menestras

menestras - Mar 10, 2006 12:47 am

Normal route from "Brecha de Rolando"  Sucess!

Slept at casteret vivac and followed the normal trail to the top of Taillón.Saw the Vignemale and came back in september to climb it.

Thomas Gurviez

Thomas Gurviez - Feb 7, 2005 4:08 am

Route Climbed: normal route from Gavarnie through breche de Roland Date Climbed: july 2002  Sucess!

incredibly crowdy day, met more than 200 people !

den dzjow - Jan 6, 2005 9:04 am

Route Climbed: Refugio Goriz-Brecha de Rolando Date Climbed: 12 September 2003  Sucess!

I wanted to climb Monte Perdido that day, but due to fresh snow I went for Taillon. Indeed, a very popular mountain, I think I met over 100 people on my way to the summit. Anyway, great views over Ordesa and on Monte Perdido.

waspee

waspee - Aug 2, 2004 6:52 pm

Route Climbed: Voie Normale Date Climbed: July 1985  Sucess!

first time I'd gone over 3000 metres!

Huberschwiller

Huberschwiller - Jun 9, 2004 5:52 am

Route Climbed: Brecha de Rolando Date Climbed: August 1978  Sucess!

Nice solo climb from Refuge des Sarradets during my holydays in Luz Saint Sauveur.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Taillon' main page