The condition of the lower...

The condition of the lower...

The condition of the lower Pride Glacier on the NE side of Kyes Peak in late summer. Photo taken Sept. 22, 2001.
Klenke
on Dec 17, 2003 9:10 pm
Image ID: 36061

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mauri pelto

mauri pelto - May 10, 2006 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Pride glacier access

How easy is it to get down to the Pride Glacier from the vantage point on the ridge? How long do you estimate from the start of the way trail at Virgin Lake to the glacier? I will working on Columbia Glacier as ususal this year but am considering a quick visit to the Pride.

Klenke

Klenke - May 10, 2006 11:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pride glacier access

It is not hard to get down to the Pride from the NE Ridge of Kyes but it will be a several hundred foot drop. I've been to here before we turned around due to lack of daylight. A little higher up the ridge the normal route from this side traverses onto the glacier at its upper finger. There are some crevasses and some steepness to contend with as you go around the back side of a crag/horn.

Also, in order to get to the Pride from Virgin Lake you pretty much have to go all the way to just short of Kyes' summit then traverse around the SE side of the peak (steep). I think you may not realize that the route to the glacier is up the Quartz Creek Trail to Curry Gap then up the long, interminal NE Ridge of Kyes. This is nowhere near Virgin Lake, which is passed on the South Route for the peak.

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - May 11, 2006 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Just what I feared

I have gone there from Curry Gap but that is a separate trip. Your pics made me think maybe there is a shorter way from Virgin but alas there are few shortcuts in that part of the range. Thanks Mauri

Viewing: 1-3 of 3