The Jaw Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Morlow

Morlow - Jul 22, 2020 1:31 pm Date Climbed: Jul 22, 2020

Great view  Sucess!

Nice climb up The Jaw today. Pretty fun peak. You can make it as easy or challenging as you want, which is always nice. The view from the top was spectacular.

aedwards

aedwards - Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2017

Fun snow climb  Sucess!

Fun day out. Lots of snow this year, making for pretty easy travel. Gets kind of steep near the top.

crussellbowden

crussellbowden - Jul 30, 2014 12:19 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2014

Near white-out conditions  Sucess!

Pretty decent climb, but its the most unremarkable feature I've ever climbed. It was easier to discern it using contour lines than looking at it/looking for a peak on the map. Great views from the top. Snowfields can make it at quick descent.

seano

seano - Nov 19, 2012 4:03 pm Date Climbed: Jun 27, 2012

Traverse from St. John  Sucess!

Traverse up St. John and around to Symmetry Col, tagging all the stuff in between. Getting to the Jaw was the crux, with a bit of 5.5-ish. Trip report.

WoollytheMammoth

WoollytheMammoth - Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am Date Climbed: Sep 16, 2012

Fun route!  Sucess!

When you get to the third and final set of cliffs on the upper mountain, you can go either south or north. The southern route works its way up grassy ledges to a short chimney. Then move north to a short couloir and scramble up and right to the top. The northern route of the east face makes a good descent route.

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Nov 3, 2010 7:37 pm

best view of the Grand  Sucess!

The couple of times I hiked up the Jaw were when it was all snow. The view across Cascade Canyon to the Grand is unbelievable. What a great time in upper Hanging Canyon viewing all of the pinnacles.

DougHemken

DougHemken - Aug 25, 2010 2:38 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2010

Spectacular hike!  Sucess!

Hanging Canyon is worth spending time in, and the Jaw stands at the head of the canyon.

About class 3 up the center of the East Face, might be possible to find a class 2 route up if you stick closer to the north side of the east slope.

I tried to descend by way of the Grinder ridge (the SE ridge) but was alone and found it at least 4th class. The upper portion of this ridge can be done 3rd class bypassing the pinnacles on their North.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'The Jaw' main page