Viewing: 1-6 of 6

soreknees - Jun 12, 2012 4:53 pm - Hasn't voted

map

how about mapping your route up west apostle to ice, I don't know where the rock glacier and the coulier your talking about are. Is the coulier 1 of 2 between ice and west on the north side?

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 13, 2012 11:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: map

The Apostle couloir is the couloir between Ice and West apostle that stays the farthest left coming from the north from apostle basin. There is a right branch of this couloir that is much steeper and not the correct one. It dumps you right at the saddle. Te rock glacier is the large pile of talus just to the north of this couloir. Roach has a good map and description in his 13ers book. I'll try to add a map soon though

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 14, 2012 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: map

I just posted a map and a route page shown here:
http://www.summitpost.org/southwest-face/795104

soreknees - Jun 15, 2012 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

re:map

thanks I had to reread the article afew times to figure out what you did. I did west apostle from Ann Lake about 8 yr ago. there is a nother rock glacier above and SE of Ann lake that goes up to a saddle and ridgeline to west apostle.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jun 17, 2012 1:22 am - Voted 10/10

Good stuff, Matt

Congrats on your "Sawatch Finisher". I haven't done West Apostle but have been itching to. I've always heard the traverse on the south side from Ice over to West Apostle could be tricky...sticky route finding. You've got some KILLER pictures in this report. That pano is incredable!

Go climb the Fridge next spring!! Probably, hands down, THE BEST couloir climb in all the Sawatch. There's a smaller left-side couloir called, "The Garbage Chute" that empties into the Refrigerator. And yes, rockfall in this bad-boy is as real as they come. My stupid ex-GF kicked rocks down on us as we started up, unintentionally of course.

Just a suggestion. It doesn't effect my monitor b/c I use a flat-screen TV FOR my computer monitor but others who don't, need to scroll to fit the pictures in. It can be irritating. I learned this the hard way when FW was still around. Takes some getting used to, resizing pictures and all but others appreciate it...as I'm told. ;o)

Thanks for posting, Matt! Good stuff. :o)

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 17, 2012 6:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good stuff, Matt

Thanks Kiefer! I am def looking into the Fridge but I'll have to see when I can come back to CO. If I don't go to graduate school I may be done in CO for awhile. Thanks for the suggestion too!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'The Three Apostles...Sawatchs' best' main page