Thunder Butte Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Doug Shaw - Aug 1, 2005 8:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

On 7/30/2005 the "Road Closed" sign at the small parking area on Road 9J was no longer there. There is still a sign on the gate proper, but the gate was open, so I took that as meaning that the road itself was open.



This means you can drive the extra 1.5 miles up the road and park just where the road turns sharply to the NW. The old road that circled behind Sheeps Nose has been plowed closed but the area before the pile of dirt makes a convenient parking spot for a couple of vehicles.

jamesbittel

jamesbittel - Apr 30, 2018 10:34 am - Voted 9/10

Addition

I live in the area of Thunder Butte. The trail from the parking on 9J Road is pretty much indistinguishable now days. I enjoy doing the peak from several ways. Parking across the road from Sheep Nose, or the pullout before Sheep Nose, allows you to hike directly toward the cliff sub peak to the south. This mitigates the depth of the rollercoaster drainages starting on 9J. The default route is up the is between the subpeak and the peak it self. Hugging the east part of that drainage involves less bushwhacking and down trees.

Or, if you park at the first left small parking area about .5 miles from Westcreek. From here, you can gain a ridge that rises to gain the subpeak. Going to the right before the cliffs you can gain the saddle over to Thunder Butte. Visible but less exposed is a ridge line off the back side of TB (away from Nine J side of the peak) that is worth exploring.

If bored after that, drive to the end of 9J road and carefully following the signs, and you'll access the Thunder Ridge bouldering area along the Platte. Take chalk and a short rope for some short topropes.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Thunder Butte' main page