Twin Lakes Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.22569°N / 122.59455°W
Additional Information County: Douglas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5580 ft / 1701 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Twin Lakes Mountain, at least for the purposes of this page, is the high point of a 400-500 foot cliff jutting from the higher, forested parent mountain behind it. When most people talk about Twin Lakes mountain, they are referring to this point, and not the unremarkable forested peak. While not a particularly high peak, it is quite impressive from the lakes below, the huge cliff dominating the scene.

Getting There

The easiest route to Twin Lakes is to take highway 138 east out of Roseburg, past the town of Glide and up into the canyon of the North Umpqua. Approximately one mile past the Dry Creek Store, 49 miles from Roseburg and immediately after crossing the Umpqua on the Marsters bridge, turn right onto forest road 4770 (Wilson Creek rd). Follow the dirt road for close to 9 miles to the trailhead. A small crag close to the parking lot provides a short scramble.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass required.

Camping

Free primitive camping is a available along the road and at the trailhead. Numerous spots for backcountry camping exist throughout the area.

The Hike

The trail, which is short and well graded, winds through a beautiful, open forest. In approximately 1/4 of a mile the trail passes a clifftop viewpoint where Diamond Peak, Bailey and Thielsen make their first appearance. The trail continues on, winding through some impressive stands of old-growth. We saw at least twenty trees with 10 foot+ diameter bases. The trees alone make this hike worth doing.
After about another half a mile, a junction is reached. To the right the trail continues another quarter-mile to the Twin Lakes, where two shelters and many climbable boulders await the explorer. For the purposes of this guide, however, take the left hand fork, which says 'West Trailhead'. Follow this trail as it slowly wraps around the east flank of the mountain. After another mile, and shortly after the trail dips downhill, a side trail leads off to the right, where the top of Twin Lakes mountain awaits. Stunning views of Bohemia mountain, Diamond Peak, Mt. Thielsen and Mt. Bailey line the horizon.
There are several newer, hangerless bolts on the summit, and I have been told there are many others in the area. The rock, while it looks horribly chossy from a distance, is surprisingly sound, and there certainly appears to be many bouldering opportunities around the Twin Lakes themselves. A 100' tall crag along the trail near the summit also looks promising.
Note: For you summit-obsessed souls out there, it seems that the 'true' summit of the mountain is in the trees almost due south from the cliff. A look at Google earth shows that a trail does appear to lead to this high point, but it seems unlikely to me that it would be worth extra time for a point a few hundred feet higher with little or no view. Just my opinion.

Weather

The closest weather station is at Diamond Lake

Video